Roses from a bouquet

Reaction score
My boyfriend bought me roses and they're this bright pink gorgeous color. (Pink Lady I think is what they're called.) Is it possible to somehow grow a bush from one of these? I've read something about a root mineral that you can put on a stem to get it to root, but not sure how, or if, it'll work if I shell out the cash.

Has anyone grown a bush from a bouquet? If it's possible, I think it'd be an awesome wedding idea too! Planting your wedding bouquet together and having the rose bush at your new home. Okay, I'm sappy and off topic.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Unfortunately trying to propagate roses from a bouquet very rarely works - even if you do everything correctly.

However as you mention - it would be lovely to have a rose that was given on a memorable occasion - growing in the garden - its always worth a try - especially as it is easily and very simply done by cutting your rose stems into 6 inch pieces and inserting them into some soil - which is then kept slightly moist until you see the first sign of growth.

As most roses contain their own rooting hormone - which is a substance called auxin - you don't need to synthetic rooting hormone in order for your cutting to take - as if you do - it often overloads the cutting and causes the cutting to fail.

Reaction score
Its possible but would be so time consuming that its just not worth it. Why not have him buy you a rose bush instead that you could plant together and have a romantic evening afterward.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Being able to propagate roses from a florist is one of my dreams:) I tried to do it many times.
Currently, I'm using a new method recommended by my mother to root four cuttings. First, I had kept them in water for almost three weeks. When they developed leaves, I put them in soil. So far, they're doing great, they haven't turned brown:)

Reaction score
Claudine you'll have to keep me posted and let me know how it turns out. I'll have to borrow your mom's method as well!
Firelily, that is a cute idea, and I do already have a garden, but he thought it'd be weird to buy me a bush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Of course I'll keep you posted:) I hope this method will work. It has to!:) I'm trying to root a rose that my boyfriend gave me, it would be so romantic if I could turn it into a rose bush.
Some time ago, I tried to root a few cuttings in water, but they all died:(

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had any luck trying to turn a cutting into a bush, but with the internet there's 5,000 methods to try, one's gotta work, right?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have read about starting a rose cutting in a potato. Has anyone ever tried this method, and if so; did it work for you ? I tried it once, but the rose just withered and died, so I don't think I did it right.
Then , I read that you are supposed to plant the potato, and just let the rose grow there, so maybe that would work ?? I have not tried that yet, but i planted some rose bushes this spring, and once they are growing good, I would love to get some starts for new rosebushes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
My mother has had success in growing roses from bouquets my father has given her. I think the difference is that my father insists on the freshest cuttings that they have.

Reaction score
My boyfriend bought me roses and they're this bright pink gorgeous color. (Pink Lady I think is what they're called.) Is it possible to somehow grow a bush from one of these? I've read something about a root mineral that you can put on a stem to get it to root, but not sure how, or if, it'll work if I shell out the cash.

Has anyone grown a bush from a bouquet? If it's possible, I think it'd be an awesome wedding idea too! Planting your wedding bouquet together and having the rose bush at your new home. Okay, I'm sappy and off topic.

Thoughts?

Best of luck with that! I've heard isn't easy to do this with roses that aren't freshly cut! Hopefully you can make it. By the way, I loved your idea! I'm sure someone out there, against all the odds, has managed to grow a rose bush out of a rose bouquet! Quite sure! They say it's hard and not likely to happen, but I believe there is no such a thing as impossible :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Best of luck with that! I've heard isn't easy to do this with roses that aren't freshly cut! Hopefully you can make it. By the way, I loved your idea! I'm sure someone out there, against all the odds, has managed to grow a rose bush out of a rose bouquet! Quite sure! They say it's hard and not likely to happen, but I believe there is no such a thing as impossible :)
I believe it too:) My aunt managed to grow a rose bush out of a rose bouquet a few years ago, so it definitely is possible. I know I won't give up. I hope my boyfriend will buy me many cut roses, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to experiment:D

Reaction score
I don't believe it's possible because anything plants with flowers will have a hard time growing roots. I think it might have something to do with all of the energy going towards the flower, to reproduce, etc. You could give it a try, but it most likely won't work.

Reaction score

Thoughts?

It's definitely worth a try. I like seeing a rose bush develop from just a little stick I get to root. I've used the rooting powders before but have just as good results without it. If you make 5 cuttings you can expect just one or two to actually take...and even with that you're lucky. Make as many cuttings as you can. Once the blooms die in your arraignment, make your clippings and plant them then before the leaves die too. If you want more detail instructions let me know. It would be awhile before you'll actually get blooms from your cuttings though, so take that into account. I planted a cutting 3 years ago and just got my first bloom last year. Trust me, I find it a very rewarding experience. Be prepared to have to pamper your new cuttings every day for several weeks, then maybe every other day for the next two months.

Ask a Question