Roses bloom but leaves droop?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Okay,so I have some 7-8 roses in my balcony. And they all seem to be happy gifting me beautiful blooms everyday! But lately I noticed two of my rose plants have drooped leaves but they still produce beautiful scented roses. So I was wondering what's wrong with my plants? I give them a long drink whenever the soil gets dry (which generally happens every 2-3 days) and they receive lot of sunlight during the day.All of the remaining rose plants seem fine.

Reaction score
Typically roses need around an inch of water per week so you sound good in that regard. Check the stems for disease - brown, sunken and shriveled cankers. If you see that then you will have to cut that stem off. Insects like aphids and thrips could be an issue. Check the plant for either small green bugs (aphids) or really tiny yellowish brown insects (thrips). If you have either then you will have to spray for that. Verticillium is a fungus that you would check the leaves for. Look for leaves with dark brown veins or streaks on them. If it is that then you will have to destroy the plant and treat the soil. If you are not sure what you see then take some samples to a garden center or college that has a program.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Had the leaves looked healthy before they fell off?
I'd wait for a little longer, I wouldn't destroy the roses. I'm not an expert, but I think that you should prune them and maybe fertilize them. Also, move them to an other place. I hope it will help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Had the leaves looked healthy before they fell off?
I'd wait for a little longer, I wouldn't destroy the roses. I'm not an expert, but I think that you should prune them and maybe fertilize them. Also, move them to an other place. I hope it will help!
Yeah! I think I should add some fertilizer,the blooms are beautiful! Thank you.

Reaction score
Although everything that has been said so far is very sound advice - I too would wait awhile before doing anything too drastic with your roses - as there are a few more reasons as why the leaves could be drooping - and very simple ones too - such as

In hot climates it is often quite normal - so long as there are no other signs of disease or pests - for the leaves of roses to droop in the heat - which often recover as the temperatures cool

They also do the same if growing in an area that receives all day very hot sun and will often recover when placed in an area that receives afternoon shade

As the symptoms of under-watering are identical to those of over-watering - the latter could also be the case and very often occurs in hot humid climates and as it it often takes some time before the leaves of the plant start to any show signs of over-watering - like turning yellow for instance - many people start looking for other reasons as to what is causing their plant to ail.

So providing your rose is showing no signs of disease and only has drooping leaves - I would wait and try a less drastic approach first.

Ask a Question