Rosemary Problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
New to the forum here and wanted to find out if anyone can help me figure out what in the world is going on with my rosemary. I have been googling and looking at various forums and unable to find much help..

I have attached pictures. I have noticed brown, spiky looking growth on the stems and all of the stem/growth on those particular ones is dying off, looking shriveled and dry.

Any help at all would be appreciated. The rosemary was planted 2 years ago and has had tremendous growth, good drainage, looked completely healthy till 3-4 months ago. We are in South Carolina, had a generally mild winter this past season.

IMG_20160313_122341.jpg
IMG_20160311_103130.jpg
IMG_20160313_122344.jpg
IMG_20160313_122355.jpg
IMG_20160313_122403.jpg
IMG_20160313_122409.jpg

Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
New to the forum here and wanted to find out if anyone can help me figure out what in the world is going on with my rosemary. I have been googling and looking at various forums and unable to find much help..

I have attached pictures. I have noticed brown, spiky looking growth on the stems and all of the stem/growth on those particular ones is dying off, looking shriveled and dry.

Any help at all would be appreciated. The rosemary was planted 2 years ago and has had tremendous growth, good drainage, looked completely healthy till 3-4 months ago. We are in South Carolina, had a generally mild winter this past season.

View attachment 11719 View attachment 11720 View attachment 11721 View attachment 11722 View attachment 11723 View attachment 11724
Thanks so much!
Not sure but I think this may be what's going on. That brown spikey growth is a type of fungus which grows on dead or dying wood and if I were to bet I would bet you have had a very wet last few months. Rosemary doesn't like wet feet and I would bet your plant has Phytophthora or some other root rot. Hope I am wrong

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi everyone,

View attachment 11719 View attachment 11720 View attachment 11721 View attachment 11722 View attachment 11723 View attachment 11724
Thanks so much!
Hi Docb,
I have the exact same problem. I am curious to know what happened to your plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I agree with chuck, its roots probably were too wet. I had two plants, bot in the same spot and I started noticing the same problem, as shown in the OP's pictures; they were both in a low spot that collected rain water.

I relocated one to higher ground and the other stayed in the same area. The one that remained died; the one I relocated to a drier area has recovered and doing well now.

P.S. How much sun did that plant receive? They like a lot of sun and in the open air, with good air circulation, seems like it was in a semi-cubby hole (as depicted by you second photo in the OP).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Rosemary is generally considered to be. Trouble free, apart from the seasonal attacks by aphids etc. However in recent years, it has become more noticeable that in some growing areas changes are being reported. Rosemary plants/shrubs have for yonks, appeared to age very fast. Stems grow fast and very quickly become aged. This IMO indecates that attention is required via careful pruning. In general. Do your best at keeping the growth young and fresh. In addition. This kind of aging process is pointing towards perhap, root problems. To investigate this furth, soils have to be tested etc, a very costly and time consuming task. So we are back to square one. Try and recall as much as possible the history and treatment of the plant since you aquired it. Perhaps you can help science here. Cut back all old heavy looking wood. As new growth appears, then continue to get rid of the remainder of old wood. Also consider the suggestions of members. Planting situation, too wet, too dry. Best wishes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Docb,
I have the exact same problem. I am curious to know what happened to your plant.
Unfortunately, i ended up losing the entire plant. I pulled it up entirely and all of the roots looked like the original picture posted above.
I ended up digging out that plant, and digging that soil really well and i put down a mix of sand/soil and i had a good bit of gravel below there also for drainage when I replanted another rosemary plant there. I dont know if any of that was the right thing to do but it is now 6 years since I posted that issue and the second rosemary plant is still going strong and actually is much bigger and more vibrant than the first one. I hope your plant is able to recover.

Ask a Question