Rosemary - lots of light or not?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
I got a rosemary plant around a year ago and keep it a pot. On the tag it said that they require a lot of light. What's strange is that seems to be backwards. I moved into an apartment where there is very little light. I ended up killing the majority of my plants (even my christmas cactus). However, the rosemary seems to be thriving! It's growing in all sorts of spirals, but it's growing far faster and larger than when I had it out in the sun. Could it be that these plants actually thrive in low light?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I don't know about rosemary in a pot and inside, but I can tell you that we have BIG rosemary growing on the north side of the house with perhaps 3-4 hours of daylight in mid summer and less the rest of the year. We also have rosemary in a couple of full sun flowerbeds that is thriving. Perhaps rosemary isn't as picky about light and exposure as some plants.
If you rosemary is happy, be happy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
If your rosemary looks healthy, then you grow it in the right place:)
In general, I believe that most herbs don't need anything special. Just some water and sunlight. My sister keeps her rosemary plant in the attic and it's doing fine:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I don't know about rosemary in a pot and inside, but I can tell you that we have BIG rosemary growing on the north side of the house with perhaps 3-4 hours of daylight in mid summer and less the rest of the year. We also have rosemary in a couple of full sun flowerbeds that is thriving. Perhaps rosemary isn't as picky about light and exposure as some plants.
If you rosemary is happy, be happy!

Ours is in a similar position in our yard and absolutely thrives too - in fact we've had to trim the bush back several times because it keeps overgrowing our garden path!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have only grown rosemary in the summer and in a pot too. They seem to do very well wherever I put them, and responded to whatever sun light available to them. I haven't tried growing them indoors yet, but I would love to just for the fragrance alone :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a rosemary plant on my windowsill for a few years and it is doing fine. I would say it gets about 5 hours of sunlight a day. A lot of my other plants (mostly cilantro) have died because they didn't have enough sunlight,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Belgium
There are a lot of different varieties of rosemary, some of them might be better suited for growing in darker places. In general, rosemary needs a lot of light and our rosemary bushes outside are thriving. The beginning can be hard, I have grown rosemary from the seeds and it takes a long time, but once you have a good bush growing, it is pretty easy. Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The library in my town has a little rosemary garden. It smells amazing, but I noticed that it gets 4-5 hours of sunlight before it is in the shadows and it is doing fine. If you know what kind you are planting I'd maybe do some research. I'm sure somewhere someone knows. :) But if it looks healthy, I wouldn't worry too much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rosemary requires only sunlight, good drainage and ample air circulation. A sandy, well draining soil and 6 to 8 hours of full sunlight daily will have the plants off and running in no time.

Ask a Question