Rose Rosette

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, new member. I am still learning about gardening, and it seems I have inherited my mom's love of roses. Normally, I'm pretty good with them. However, one of the gardening groups I am in at Facebook pointed out that they think my one knock out rose has rose rosette. I looked it up and then checked the plant, and it appears it may be true. I just planted another one close to it, so I need to cure this because that one has developed it's own problems and doesn't need more.

It is early on in the disease, and from my research I can still save the plant at this point. What I don't know is how much to cut off. Do I just cut off the top and take out the diseased branches, or do I cut the entire plant all the way down to the ground? Also, will doing this have a bad effect of the plant being it isn't the right time of year for this? Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Its done IMO as it is a virus that comes from mites. Here is a link. Top Gun is a knock out type that you should find does not suffer the problem should you choose to replace anything. Kill the mites and create as much barrier as reasonable during their season.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do I kill the mites? I haven't found much info, neem oil apparently doesn't help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The bugs bite the plant. This is a tough one. The oils and soaps are an attempt at creating a barrier to the bite. The trick is they cannot be anything that stops oxygen. Thus horticultural oils are concoctions with a base of mineral or vegetable oils such as would also work on your skin.

Its pure speculation on my part, but since I am aware that bugs can smell their host plants, I would suggest examining the use of certain essential oils that have a strong smell, such as thyme or garlic oil as well as the use of capsicum ingredients. Basically camouflage the rose smell and taste. I do not think there is any way to remove the bug from the environment. Once bitten, there is no good way to fight the virus from within the rose.

From the article;

"Control the disease by controlling the mite. Start mite control early by pruning your roses hard in late winter (back by 2/3) to remove as many overwintering mites as possible and then spray with horticultural oil to kill any remaining mites. Organic pesticides such as horticultural oils and insecticidal soap are recommended over other pesticides as these organic pesticides are less harmful to natural predators that feed on the problem mites. Apply weekly during the months of June and July paying particular attention to the new growing tips where the mites will congregate. Refrain from using leaf blowers around roses as they can spread mites."

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does this look like Rose Rosette?

Attachments

• Rosette.jpg
    Rosette.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 178

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Can’t really tell from the pic. Could you post a higher resolution picture?

Ask a Question