Rose from a seed or already growing?

Reaction score
I was thinking about this. I have not grown a Rose from seeds. I was wondering how long would it take to do this. An how long before they become the size that is seen at the garden centers, or private nurseries?

If you have grown them from seeds, would you share your knowledge with the forum and me?

Reaction score
I haven't but do know that it can be done, but to be honest would recommend it as a good way of acquiring a rose bush for the simple reason, that it can take at least 3 - 4 years before it would become a rose bush, the size of the ones that you see in the nurseries and also for all the effort involved, you are highly unlikely to get a rose that resembles the mother plant.

The best way to propagate a rose is to take stem cuttings and insert them into the ground and if done at this time of year, by the time spring arrives you will have the beginnings of a rose bush :)

But should you want to try growing a rose from seed and you live in a warmish climate - now is the time to do it, but first you will need to separate the seed, which is done by first soaking the rosehip in water overnight, after which you will need to remove and discard any seeds that are floating on the surface, before tipping out onto a board for the next very fiddly stage of trying to separate the remaining seeds from the pulp with a stiff brush, which can be quite time consuming and as I said extremely fiddly, but once done you can sow the seeds immediately.

Reaction score
This is embarrassing, but about the only thing I can't do well in gardening is anything to do with roses. I can barely grow the plants I already have growing so I know seeds and me would be a h*ll no!

Reaction score
Nope, never, I actually suck at growing things from seed :cry:(n) For some reason I have only been able to grow cucumbers and morning glories from seeds in the past, and I can't even take the whole credit of growing the morning glories from seed; they fell on my plant pots and all I did was covering them with some soil :whistle:

It's my guess growing a rose bush from seed would take waaaay too long, and since I'm not very patient... I'd not even dare to try it. I rather grow mine by grabbing some cuttings and burying them in the soil. I heard you can use rooting hormone on them, then let them do their thing in a container filled with water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried growing roses from seeds. I did grow them from cuttings though, and believe me, it takes a lot of time! They're two years old now and they're still very, very small. But some of them started producing flowers, so I'm very proud of them:)

Reaction score
I think roses are propagated by grafting from mature plants. It would take quite a long time to grow from a seed. either buy a rosé bush or graft off of one.

Reaction score
I have never tried growing roses from seeds. It is my understanding that it takes several years to do this - at least four or five years.
It's a lot easier to buy a rose bush. Then, you'll be able to smell your roses a lot sooner than if you planted them from a seed.

Ask a Question