Rose bush trimming

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two wild rose bushes in my yard, at least that’s what the previous owner said they are. One has a red stem and the other a green stem. They have both been partly choked out by grape vines. They both seem to be alive, though I had to look hard for some live bits of the red one.

Is it good to trim back all the dead parts now? Or should I wait until the end of the season? Something else? I’m not sure how to proceed!

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi BThomas,
Firstly why are these roses planted by grape vines, "well here in france they grow a lot of grapes for the wine trade and eating "but" its a big part of the french culture,
Now offten while driving passed these vast fields of long lines of grapes you'll see at the ends of each row a "Rose"
plant just growing away alone
why?
Well these roses are the first place the bugs will attack and this sign show's the grape grower what's infested his vine and it's spraying time,
It's a much better way to deal with the verious bugs pre the vine being covered with bugs, An early warning device "natures alarm you could say"

Clear away all the grass etc away from the complete rose's now! both the ground area and all top area's so you can see whats happening around the complete rose,
Then prune all the dead off the rose (do this by cutting an outward facing cut from a nod ) And slightly above the nod, this allows the rain to run off the plant and not soak into the good wood of the rose and we're you've just cut, (Google rose pruning to see how to prune)

The idea of removing the dead wood is so the rose can give all it's growing strength to the good wood and to stop decay, If any sign of green fly can be seen then spray the rose, you can get purpose rose bug sprays but as a short time method use used washing up liquid ,cool water not hot, just spray all the plant, Pay attention to under any leaves, this is the place bugs live,

Now feed the rose with rose feed or tomatoe feed is much the same, and ensure the vine is kept off the rose and the Rose's have plently of light and space to grow,
continue to water to aid the plants roots to settle, and feed once a week with a weak feed, you'll soon see the plants change and new growth will appear?
Ps roses can last for a very long time if looked after, 80 to100 yrs.
Hope this helps and good rose growing,

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi Louis,
Hope your well,
Roses really are gross feeders when in season (when they are blooming) Once a week is plenty for a liquid feed ,
Ive been using tomatoe feed on my rose's for years ever since i got a pile of gardening books from an animal rescue shop, One of the books was by a Lady called Mrs Beetons garden management,
Now this Lady really was during her life time known for anything to do with running the large masters estate house and the kitchen side of life, ie how to clean copper/brass run a kitchen , all kinds of old ways of cooking etc etc and also the kitchen garden side of these huge houses,
Her tips on anything gardening we're then and still today was advice worth knowing,
Ive two of her books 'A) the garden management and the (B) House hold Management, both these books are on amazon and if your after some really good old ways of doing things they're both worth buying, they are 3 inch think so as you can see lots & lots of reading and learning,
Tip,
Get into the habbit of dead heading and removing any dead wood off your Roses,
Dead heading allows the rose to feed the young rose buds and you'll get more rose's
The removal of dead wood helps stop deceas,
Stop green fly etc by companion planting ie Tagett's will last all summer and deter green fly,
Hope this helps you Louis (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two wild rose bushes in my yard, at least that’s what the previous owner said they are. One has a red stem and the other a green stem. They have both been partly choked out by grape vines. They both seem to be alive, though I had to look hard for some live bits of the red one.

Is it good to trim back all the dead parts now? Or should I wait until the end of the season? Something else? I’m not sure how to proceed!
If these are wild roses, you might consider them to be a nuisance. In any case, it would be a good idea to cut them both down to the ground now so that you won`t get ripped to shreds while you are clearing the area. Cutting them back will not harm them at all, and they will grow back again stronger than ever --- I often wish I could get rid of mine here, they grow so fast, and are always leaping out to attack me. I certainly wouldn`t think of feeding them o_O

P

Peace perfect peace

If these are wild roses, you might consider them to be a nuisance. In any case, it would be a good idea to cut them both down to the ground now so that you won`t get ripped to shreds while you are clearing the area. Cutting them back will not harm them at all, and they will grow back again stronger than ever --- I often wish I could get rid of mine here, they grow so fast, and are always leaping out to attack me. I certainly wouldn`t think of feeding them o_O
Hi folks,
I know what your saying ref wanting to get rid of the wild rose's you've found,
Here's a different way of looking at it,
One thing i really enjoy is taking my two dogs for their daily walk down the tracks and along the river bank,
All through the year something different appears and its all stamped "Mother nature "
The wild little flowers of all colours and smelling nice, the ones you never thought was hiding in the wild hedges but on an early evening walk it hits you as you walk past that hedge, honey suckle "wow what a smell" and the wild rose growing away, food for the bee's and something that was here long before man was,
Ive a wild rose growing halfway down the driveway, its at one end of the hedge and its here every spring and its a sign "summers just around the corner,
How's it lived for all these years without being fed by me ???
If only these wild shrubs / flowers could talk? What a story they could tell us about life,

Answer Mother nature gave the soil the goodness and a place to blossom,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1594284941194.png
Very poetic! Here is a garden produced by good ol` mother nature.

I prefer to think ''she'' needs a bit of help now and then .......

1594285387474.png
:giggle:

P

Peace perfect peace

One thing for sure ref Mother Nature,
We "The gardener's" are only tennants Mother Nature will take it all back one day and all the imported plants/ tree's etc and all the straight line gardening we've introduced will all go back to how she created it in the first place, "Weeds and all"

Ask a Question