Root Bound Strawberries problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
I have these strawberry plants from last year.
they came in a wee box and i just let them grow in the box all year and never transplanted them
so they are all rootbound and all the roots of all the plants are stuck together

i will prune the dead leaves tomorow but how do i seperate the plants without damaging the roots?

if you can see in the pictures it is several strawberry plants all stuck together, there are lots of dead leaves but there are wee green shoots coming up too so i want to save them , i have put them in a seed propagation tray to help with the root bound problem without seperating the roots

any help would be much appreciated thanks!

Attachments

• 20170405_212205.jpg
    20170405_212205.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 411
  • 20170405_212210.jpg
    20170405_212210.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 374
  • 20170405_212224.jpg
    20170405_212224.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 423
Reaction score
Get a large knife and carve so you have a single plant,get rid of all that rubbish,

Then pot them up individually ,get them outside, then in a month or so, plant them.

Got two chances.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
right so just cut the roots ? i will prune all those dead leaves and all and just leave the green shoots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
thats really helpful greenhorn thanks, i saw on some video you shouldnt ever cut into roots because it damages the plant but that mustve just been bs lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
right, how long do u think they will take to get over it?

It depends on how severe it is. I recommend giving the roots a good soak, then slowly separating the plants from each other. I don't think you should cut the roots, as that will damage more roots then save. It will probable take a few weeks, to a month.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
they have been in a wee tiny pot thing for a year before i put them in that propagation tray so they will probably be very rootbound, should i get rid of all the soil before i separate the roots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Yes, take the plant from the soil. You need the full plant with roots to work well. You are also going to need patience when separating the roots. With some teasing, it will come apart. Just make sure the root ball is in tact. Put in the container with soil and water asap. It will look sad for a few days, maybe weeks, but watering when the soil is a few inches dry will definetly help them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Soak the roots for two hours, and that means immersion in water, not a heavy watering.
Pull the plants, from below the crowns, apart.
Some roots will break, some will survive.
Some plants may die, most will survive.
Plant them quick or you'll not get a crop this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
there are loads of new sprouts coming up in them so im gonna leave them till i have loads of shoots and theyve all come up then i will do what u guys are suggesting, hopefully it goes well i will post up a vid of it

Ask a Question