Root aphids :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I have two black diamond elephant ear plants that were previously indoor until I noticed aphid activity. Further inspection points to root aphids. I really love these plants.

Currently they are quarantined outside and I have been treating them with a soluble soil pesticide to try and kill off the aphids. This does not appear to have worked.

BUT, I want to know if anyone has ever tried to remove the entire plant, rinse the excess soil off, and then take them to the tub and essentially deep clean the roots to remove any aphid activity.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United States
ALSO, for what it's worth I believe they came from the nursery with the infestation. I should have taken care of it initially obviously but lesson learned!

Attachments

• 20211203_082406.jpg
    20211203_082406.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211203_082408.jpg
    20211203_082408.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Yes, removing the soil and thoroughly cleaning the corm will work. It can be a traumatic procedure, but Colocasia esculenta 'Diamond Head' is well-adapted to this remedy as it is regularly sold as a bare-root corm. The end of Winter is the best time to try such a procedure, as the plant will be quiescent, but ready to hopefully rebound with warmer weather and lengthening daylight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
And the best of luck too. I have had to stop growing Auriculas as I was totally unable to get rid of the root aphids.
When replanting, use a new pot and ditch the old ones, the eggs from the aphids may well be lurking in them.

Ask a Question