Roma tomatoes are doing well, but odly shaped.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
My determinant Romas are doing well and producing lots of large fruit. What is perplexing to me is that they are large and round, not the oval shape that I am used to and what is shown in the picture on the tag that sticks into the ground. Is it possible that they are cross pollinating with some of the other species I have? Thanks,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My determinant Romas are doing well and producing lots of large fruit. What is perplexing to me is that they are large and round, not the oval shape that I am used to and what is shown in the picture on the tag that sticks into the ground. Is it possible that they are cross pollinating with some of the other species I have? Thanks,
Somebody switched or someone at the growers put the wrong tag on the transplants. Happens all the time. Be thankful they aren't cherrys

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
For further information: if tomatoes (or anything else for that matter) cross-pollinate, it does not affect the fruit, it affects the seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love Roma tomatoes and have always known them as having oval shape too! Chuck probably is correct that they might be carrying the wrong tag.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I grew romas from seed last year. One lot came out looking like a large grape tomato with a cherry tomato attached at the top. I dubbed these my tomato people because they reminded me of the fischer price people from the old days. I saved some of the seeds and am hoping this year's crop will be similarly shaped - the grandkids love them!

And yes, I do agree, someone must have been playing checkers with the tags. Last year I bought a pea that turned out to be a regular tomato...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well that would explain things. I will be planting from seed in the future. At least I have lots of tomatoes! Thanks all,

Ask a Question