Rocks and Stones

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I found this article in Better Homes and Gardens where Kelly Roberson questioned Barbara Pleasant about landscaping using rocks and stones.

SIP926535.jpg.rendition.largest.ss.jpg

This article has a lot of great links also to different landscaping ideas with rocks and stones and she even explains the difference between the two.

Landscaping with Rocks and Stones

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very pretty picture. I like having rocks in my garden as landscaping. Some of my neightbors have large boulders as the center of the design which is good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
If I were a millionaire, I'd do my landscaping with labradorite. :D
Oh wouldn't that be pretty? I so love Labradorite, I use it often when I make jewelry and it is not a cheap stone. I think one thing you could do which would be close, is what I have seen some of the local crafters do. I have seen bird baths and gazing balls done in different types of mosaics that are just wonderful. I will add a picture but I assure you it does not reflect anywhere near the beauty of some of these pieces in real life. I tend more to a cottage style of gardening so I love whimsical stuff like this, nice for a color pop here and there. I think what is really nice is you can do these projects on your own during the winter of rainy day. Great way to re-purpose something that isn't quite used up but needs a face lift.
DIY_Mosaic_Bird_Bath17.jpg

Reaction score
I'm a rock-aholic too - in fact I've been using rocks, stones, flints, granite and giant boulders for landscaping purposes for most of my gardening life - fortunately for me none of these materials cost anything as most of them are free where I live - well apart from the times when the assistance of few strong men is needed in order to help shift some of the heavier ones - then I have to entice them by offering to buy them a few beers :D

Oh and I love Labradorite too - as well as the many things that can be done with it and especially mosaic table top tops, plant pots and tiles - which is probably why I think that plate you posted Mockingbird - is absolutely gorgeous particularly as contains all my favorite colors too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Oh wouldn't that be pretty? I so love Labradorite, I use it often when I make jewelry and it is not a cheap stone. I think one thing you could do which would be close, is what I have seen some of the local crafters do. I have seen bird baths and gazing balls done in different types of mosaics that are just wonderful. I will add a picture but I assure you it does not reflect anywhere near the beauty of some of these pieces in real life. I tend more to a cottage style of gardening so I love whimsical stuff like this, nice for a color pop here and there. I think what is really nice is you can do these projects on your own during the winter of rainy day. Great way to re-purpose something that isn't quite used up but needs a face lift.
DIY_Mosaic_Bird_Bath17.jpg
That is so pretty! I once saw a labradorite coffee table and it was so pretty, too! I can get labradorite from Madagascar for about $8/lb if I remember right. It's not that expensive, but when you like pieces of 50 lb or bigger, it starts adding up LOL! The biggest piece I have (not the one in the picture) cost me $170 :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'm a rock-aholic too - in fact I've been using rocks, stones, flints, granite and giant boulders for landscaping purposes for most of my gardening life - fortunately for me none of these materials cost anything as most of them are free where I live - well apart from the times when the assistance of few strong men is needed in order to help shift some of the heavier ones - then I have to entice them by offering to buy them a few beers :D

Oh and I love Labradorite too - as well as the many things that can be done with it and especially mosaic table top tops, plant pots and tiles - which is probably why I think that plate you posted Mockingbird - is absolutely gorgeous particularly as contains all my favorite colors too :)
It's nice to know I'm not the only rockaholic here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never been a big fan of shiny things, so I don't like shiny rocks either. But I think I can call myself a rockaholic too:D I love how some stones and pebbles look. They make a very natural garden decoration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, it's so beautiful and detailed! It looks like a piece of art:) I'd expect to see something like this in an art gallery.
Yes, I think I see the Native American:)

Ask a Question