Rock garden design

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m trying to design a rock garden that is not too busy and won’t require much labor or upkeep because I’m an old gal-
Any advice or designs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DD and welcome to the forum :) I know what you mean ;) and the first thing you need is a couple of strapping young fellas to move the rocks - the bigger the better.
If you can find really tough plants that stay low and spread, ones that will enjoy the weather conditions that are usual in your neck of the woods you will be on a winner.

1612038349633.png
You could even turn the rocks into a place to rest when you`ve finished, and maybe even include a small pond to keep the birds and bees happy :joyful: enjoy planning, it`s a good thing to do in winter!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

There are so many different types of garden rockeries, varying topography, formality, type of rock and type of plant (alpine, montane, woodland, desertic, Mediterranean, etc.).

My first question to you would be, "Is this more about the rocks or the plants"? Of course, it is often a bit of both, but choice and intriguing rock garden plants don't need the presence of large, expensive boulders (fortunately)... and big, randomly-placed landscaping boulders, don't require interesting plants to be grown beside them (unfortunately).

Ask a Question