Roaches coming from compost, garden, or home?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Howdy,

I recently started a compost bin in a 32gal black trash can with holes drilled in it. It’s filled with grass clippings, chopped up veggie plant remnants, fruit scraps, and an equal amount of shredded cardboard/paper/sawdust. It doesn’t smell bad and looks like it’s composting nicely so I believe the ratio and moisture is in check. I began seeing a few small roaches in it which was fine with me, I know they’re just doing their job. But now I’ve been seeing the same roaches in my garden on the opposite side of the house, and now a few actually inside the house (about 1-2/day).

We’ve had a couple rains and very slightly cooler weather. My question is: is it possible the source of all these is solely the compost bin? Or could the garden be contributing as well? Are roaches in a garden a thing?

C1FD080B-2862-4408-AF72-7BF65C5D50F8.jpeg

AECD6192-90F9-4590-8ABD-E64E3112A24B.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think I've ever seen a cockroach in my garden or compost pile. Plenty of other bugs though. I do remember when the grocery stores bagged in paper bags, roaches were a thing, and then when they went to plastic bags, the roaches went away. Not sure if that is helpful or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In Texas you will have roaches, compost bin, garden or not. The trick is how to control them. Some folks use boric acid, some use a 50/50 mix of baking soda and sugar. Some use diatomaceous earth. And some mix all of them together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you familiar with 'The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers'? Fat Freddy visits Texas and accidentally brings back the super strong, super size, Texan super roach :)
Never heard of them until now. I looked them up and they are supposed to be on Tubi. I check them out

Ask a Question