Rhubarbs doing well

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm the only one that eats it here now, going to make a Rhubarb Crumble at the weekend, see if I can tempt my Daughter with that:D

Reaction score
I'm the only one that eats it here now, going to make a Rhubarb Crumble at the weekend, see if I can tempt my Daughter with that:D
That is a really nice dessert, I have to have it with custard or cream though otherwise it's just not half as nice!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Tescos do packets of custard powder for 6p:)

Reaction score
Nice rhubarb and well fed sheep! We use to have a patch of rhubarb but someone dug it up. My daughter and I are the only ones who like it. I hope you enjoyed it as much as those sheep! Why are the sheep running loose and not in an enclosure?

Our problem here is deer and rabbits eating our vegetables and apples. We've tried different tricks and nothing works. We heard of someone putting up a fence but the deer just jumped it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
The rhubarb looks awesome ! It does not do well down here in the South, but I keep trying, and maybe one of these times, it will get started well enough to keep growing. I have this years trial growing in a pot, and on the house . On nice days, when it is not too hot, I set the pot out on the back porch, and when the weather is in the 90s, then I am keeping it in the house.
My plan is to do this during the summer heat, and then plant it outside this fall once it cools down enough, and hopefully, then it will get started enough to keep growing next year.

Reaction score
Wow. That is amazing. I really hope I can get rhubarb to take here. My family used to grow it in the northern US, but I have my doubts it will survive in the southwest. *sigh* All that beautiful greenery. At least there's no wildlife to eat my garden. lol

Reaction score
Well?

That rhubarb is massive! God, I really want some rhubarb and apple crumble now, but it's too late to start baking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
OH! This just gave me a challenge zigs. I should try to grow rhubarb! My mother and I love rhubarb pie, but it is so hard to find. Lots of store mix it with strawberries, but it's so good just plain ol' rhubarb. I don't know why I never thought of growing it before. My mom is going to be so excited.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's easy to grow from seed, planted a whole packet of 50 once, they all came up

But if you can get a 2 or 3 year old plant you won't have to wait so long to get a decent crop :)

Don't eat the leaves though :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I've dug up and moved my rhubarb.
From the two crowns I managed to get eight pieces to plant and three to force.
It's all sprouting now!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one Bees :) Ought to top dress mine, drove past the stables today, didn't think to check if they were giving manure away :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm suddenly scared of the way zigs cooks his rhubarb if it bungs you up. About how long does a good crop take?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D

Best not picked for the first couple of years, and then only pic till midsummer on the 3rd, let it build it's roots up. After that it'll crop for a good 20-30 years, but like Bees said, you can dig it up and divide it :)

Ask a Question