Rhododendron

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I read in an HGTV email that this is a good plant for an area that is in constant shade. I have 2 porches/patios that are shaded all day and I'd love to add a flowering plant as I mostly only have fern type plants at the moment but when I went to the Home Depot website Monrovia lists the plant as partial sun. Does anyone have any experience with this plant? Does it need sun for part of the day or is indirect sunlight enough?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There are hundreds of different types of rhododendrons/azeleas...some may do fine in full shade but in my experience (l live in a very different climate) the types that do best here need sun, at least for part of the day. Mine gets almost full sun. But I'm sure there are varieties that tolerate shade, especially in your temperate and sunny climate.

I'd avoid Home Despot or other big box stores for plants and/or gardening advice. Find a good independent garden center and see what they have to offer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In sunny California, most Rhododendron do best in part shade or bright shade, but full deep shade will usually slow growth and prevent flowering. By bright shade, I mean shade that is mostly open to the sky, such as the unobstructed North side of a building. The denser shade found beneath trees, especially evergreen trees, is usually not bright enough.

Ask a Question