Retaining wall garden

Reaction score
Last fall we put in a retaining wall in the front of our house. We decided to go with the stone we found in the back fields. The area we live in is mostly stone, limestone and dirt, so we decided to take advantage of what we had. As you can see in the picture the stones are all different and it was much like a puzzle trying to figure out what way to position the stones in order to have less shifting. Over the winter we did have a bit of shifting but overall it held well.

Now I have a new garden area to plant to my heart's content. I planted only a few plants this year in order to see how well they do in that area. There is a lot of sun during the day, if you look at the ground you can see how dry it can get. We went through a wet period where we had almost three weeks of rain off and on. Now it is hot and humid and I need to water twice a day.

retwall1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I really like your retaining wall, it's very pretty:) . The stones look so natural, in my opinion it's lovely. I'd much rather have a wall like this than a regular, boring fence.

Reaction score
I love stone walls. You've got some nifty crevasses there - maybe you could get some plants growing out of the front of the wall, cascading down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a beautiful stone wall. Mulch the bed and water deeply when you do water. There should be no need to water twice a day or even every day or two days.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of those stones must have taken a bit of shifting, let alone juggling them to fit so nicely. Things kike aubretia and toadflax would look lovely in time, and with a bit of luck you could get some interesting fauna moving into the crevices. I don't know what it would be in Canada, but I would be hoping for lizards ans maybe a toad, and with a bit of a cavity inside you might even see a stoat or weasel making a home there.

Do you know the difference between a stoat and a weasel? Well a weasel is weaselly wrecognised while a stoat is stoatally different.

Ouch! Sorry about that

Ask a Question