Resurrecting Solar Lights

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
For those who have them, they can be a pain.
You can put perfectly good lights away in October, bring them out in April and some don't work.

We've had these globes on a pole for several years.

As a precaution I always take the batteries out, give the contacts a spray of switch cleaner and WD40 the steel tubes.

What often happens is that water gets in during the summer and rusts the contacts, and they can be difficult to clean and get the caps to fit properly.

To cure this, I get a bit of multi-strand wire and poke one end down between the positive contact in its slot in the side and the wall of the battery holder, form a curl with the other end t ogo over the positive contact of the battery.

P1040937.JPG

Quite often the caps won't stay on, so I wind a bit of insulation tape round the top overlapping the cap. Not too much or they won't slip into the steel tubes.

P1040936.JPG

Its also as well to put a bit of black insulation tape around the bottom of the glass dome where it meets the metal of the lamp. This will prevent rain getting in.

P1040935.JPG

Ask a Question