Ressurection plant (Selaginella lepidophylla)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I tried to plant my ressurection plant (a.k.a the rose of jericho) in soil and the roots wouldn’t take.
I planted it in an old juice bottle i poked holes in the bottom of, so maybe that was the problem.
But i read they grow better in a bowl of water, im just worried my cat will drink the water its in, she is a bit of a dingbat and loves her water.
I need advice on this plant.
Please help.
I have read so many articles on the internet on this plant and all i find are contradictions or confusing information.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Resurrection Plant (Selaginella lepidophylla) is a Spikemoss (Selaginella, Selaginellaceae) native to desert regions of Mexico, New Mexico, and Texas. It is adapted to drying out completely and then reviving when rain comes to the desert. It does not have a deep root system, but can develop roots that will anchor it to the soil.

Grow a resurrection plant in a container of fast-draining rocky or sandy soil. If the plant has no anchor roots gently anchor it to the soil with a few straight pins. Place the container in bright, indirect or partial sun. Water and then let the soil surface dry before watering again. Occasionally fertilize lightly with a complete, liquid fertilizer.

You can revive a desiccated Selaginella lepidophylla in a bowl of water, but it should not be kept in an aquatic environment. It will rot.

Ask a Question