Repurposing accessorie holders on patio cart

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
0687068_1-1.jpeg

I bought a patio cart for my sun oven early this spring that came with these accessory holders. I really didn't have any use for these because the top shelf had to be much lower for my purpose. Sooo, now I am going to try to grow herbs in the pockets.

I tried to copy the image but am stymied so posted the link to it. Just went up to my laptop and fixed this - sorry about that link not working...

Anyway, I tossed in some basil and sage seeds.

I f they work out, I'll take a pic and post it.

Nothing to lose!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
View attachment 6687

I bought a patio cart for my sun oven early this spring that came with these accessory holders. I really didn't have any use for these because the top shelf had to be much lower for my purpose. Sooo, now I am going to try to grow herbs in the pockets.

I tried to copy the image but am stymied so posted the link to it. Just went up to my laptop and fixed this - sorry about that link not working...

Anyway, I tossed in some basil and sage seeds.

I f they work out, I'll take a pic and post it.

Nothing to lose!
How handy would that be. I hope it is successful. Look forward to seeing the results

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry about that, I still have trouble with my tablet - one of these days it is going to make a nice frisbee... this is pre plant

LOL.
That looks like quite the elaborate tool cart; what's with the reflective panels?
Anyway if you're referring to those pockets on the sides I don't know why your herbs won't do well there. Sort of like those "plants in a bag" you see in garden stores. I almost bought strawberries in a bag today but the $20 price tag scared me off.

Edit - I see you figured out the image thing. Neat idea! You could even wheel it around to take advantage of sunny spots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
LOL.
That looks like quite the elaborate tool cart; what's with the reflective panels?
Anyway if you're referring to those pockets on the sides I don't know why your herbs won't do well there. Sort of like those "plants in a bag" you see in garden stores. I almost bought strawberries in a bag today but the $20 price tag scared me off.

Edit - I see you figured out the image thing. Neat idea! You could even wheel it around to take advantage of sunny spots.

That is a sunoven sitting on the cart.

do lots of cooking with the power of the sun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is a wonderful idea, CanadianLori! I love it:) It will look so unique! If I could, I'd grow herbs everywhere around me. They're such beautiful little plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It looks lovely, Lori, I like it very much:) Thank you for the update. What herbs did you choose? Is the biggest one mint? My mint doesn't want to grow, I think I need to transplant it and maybe move it to a different room.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
yes, the big one is mint, then cilantro and not in view yet, oregano

The other side has two kinds of basil and some sage.

These were seeds I had laying around so that is why the selection is limited.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So cool! So you just put some soil in each pocket and planted seeds?
I imagine the black pouches help keep the soil warmer too; a good thing for those of us in cooler climates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Could do this in a shoe organizer too as they are similar.Just need to hang it on a fence or from a rail.

I was thinking that very thing. Because of all the trees here my full-sun areas (on days when we actually get full sun - they say here in Michigan we don't tan, we rust LOL) are limited. I was thinking shoe organizers hung on a fence or sunny wall would be a good way to grow herbs.

Ask a Question