Replanting Ivy

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My back has lots of ivy in two sections that I plan to cut back. I would like to make a a low maintenance front yard and

thought about moving some of the ivy from the back to the front as a ground cover. There is a house in the area that has a

large section of the front covered in ivy and it is not bad. I don't think I would want that much in the front, just to reduce the

need to mow both front and back.

Reaction score
Some ivies are considered noxious in some areas, especially English Ivy. I would check with your local university extension center before propagating more. Then you can decide how to proceed.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand Ivy has a way of taking over a space, I think if I did start some growing in the front I would try to keep it growing with a controled space to keep the ivy from growing into my neightbors space.

Reaction score
You can use IVY in these style. We have designed some gardens with IVY in NYC. Look at these pics.
VuNT8Vi.jpg

FAIExM1.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
image.jpg
I have thirty plus year old ivy hedges, planted way before ivy was known to be invasive. I love them, but do have to give them a hard hedging once a year. If you want a low maintenance plant that makes a nice ground cover or small bush check into different varieties of heaths and heathers. I've had them in my front yard for a long time. I don't have to water them once they are established (after second year). If you choose the right varieties they will provide color in the winter and summer. The bees appreciate the flowers too. Pictured above is two different early spring blooming varieties. Below is what is currently blooming. This is a taller variety.
image.jpg

Here is a heath
image.jpg

Reaction score
I think the ivy would take alot of work to keep cut back and not invading into your neighbor's yard. If you don't absolutely love the look, I would not transplant them. I know that would help cut down on costs, but is it worth it? I would find another plant that you like more and that is less work. If you don't mind the work, I say, go for it.

Ask a Question