Replacement Greenhouse Door wheel runner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm trying to help my dad find a missing greenhouse door wheel like the one in the photo, he's very old and loves his greenhouse and we can't shut the door. All I know is its very old and has no make markings and I've spent hours searching for a second runner like in the photo. It's about 8mm and pops into the top of the door, wheel is approximately 18mm diameter.
Can anyone help please. Thanks

Attachments

• 20180209_103138.jpg
    20180209_103138.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 410
  • 20180209_103122.jpg
    20180209_103122.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 366
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Have you tried ebay? If you can't find a replacement online then you could always consider getting one 3D printed.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think your best bet may be to see if you know anyone with a workshop and see if they can create a replacement for you. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to make something compatible, with the right tools. A matching wheel can likely be found easily enough, but the fixing is going to be the bit that needs a little bit of fabrication.

edit: Just to check, is it just the wheel you need - or is the full runner missing?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A bit of a dilemma Tommy and I can understand your problem in finding a direct replacement part; DirtMechanic has kindly offered a number of solutions but unfortunately not a proper match.

Many thanks for the plug Tjohn and Mary; much appreciated. I notice you are here in the UK Tommy; are you near Huddersfield by any chance because we could get in touch; I've got offcuts of plastic and nylon but I'd need the actual part to copy and I can possibly help.

I like to keep things simple so how about a pair of these that possibly could be grafted on with a little bit of work and a drill;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greenhou...762009?hash=item19ded63299:g:hykAAMXQLw1R1Xx9

These are cheap enough to play around with so little would be lost if they couldn't be made to fit but I like their simplicity. It might be easier to use a pair of non standard wheels than to try to obtain an original; a pair of these could be simply screwed to either the back or front of the door?

It's possible there will be a manufacturers nameplate on the actual greenhouse?

Let's try to get your dad sorted with his greenhouse.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Colin, if it is too much work to remake a duplicate I would suggest he do away with the nylon altogether and retro fit a stainless hinge. That looks like a good quality unit and well worth the investment.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Many thanks for the plug Tjohn and Mary; much appreciated. I notice you are here in the UK Tommy; are you near Huddersfield by any chance because we could get in touch; I've got offcuts of plastic and nylon but I'd need the actual part to copy and I can possibly help........(snip)........

Let's try to get your dad sorted with his greenhouse.

Colin, you are my new hero!! (y) :D I must warn you that I am fickle, and easily impressed. (Shh, don't let Ian know, I warned him I was fickle, but I don't want to hurt his feelings! :ROFLMAO:.)

It was my thought that you might have a good idea of how to fix it, or where the part could be obtained - not that you would volunteer to help!! .... You are such a nice man... As much as you speak glowingly of Bron...you should know that she's a lucky woman, too! (y)

(Ian, if you're reading this, I am still most impressed you found the title of the book!!! :cool: Edited to add - - AND figured out how the get # of replies and last post date on Similar Threads!! I almost forgot about that! (y) !!)

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Excellent idea Silentrunning in suggesting converting the door to side hung using hinges; would the wind though be likely to damage the door if allowed to slam shut? I replaced our up and over garage door with side hung garage doors I made years ago and I have to be very careful due to the prevailing breeze/wind coming up the valley but I do prefer these side hung doors because I can nip in and out of the garage without having to throw the up and over door every time I wanted to gain access. (y):)

You are so kind Mary; thank you. Such a repair is a reasonably simple task for me having machinery and tools to hand; I often make new parts in less time than buying the parts and at a lot less cost. As an apprentice I was forcibly informed a fitter fits whereas an engineer makes and fits there being a world of difference between the two; I was an apprentice mechanical engineer so I'm trained to make things from scratch and I still enjoy such challenges; the downside is the amount of time involved especially since it's difficult to get off my backside when it's a day like today with the usual dire weather. If I could save all the Thank You's I've been given over the years for favours I've done I'd be rich but then a favour is just that and I never ever charge. :)

Please don't tell anyone Mary that I do favours or I'll not have a spare minute? :D:D:D

Right; I'm heading into the workshop; will I be blasted by rain; hail or snow; we've so far had the lot this morning and now the sun is shining. I feel a bit of welding coming on. :)

Home made garage doors shown below with wired safety glass; the balcony is an extension of the decking;; the steelwork; woodwork and all painting I did a couple of years ago taking months as I did my best to work around constant bad weather but persistence pays off.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSCN2154.JPG

Ask a Question