Removing Thorns

Reaction score
Country
United States
Weird question. I have a rose thorn stuck in my hand. It isn't painful, bleeding, pussing, etc. But there's a thorn in my hand. Any tips for getting it out? I can't get it with tweezers. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it isn't bothering you forget it. It will soon dissolve and disappear by itself. But if you insist you can get a needle or hat pin or straight pin and remove enough skin to be able to get it with tweezers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For anyone else needing a solution - soak it in epsom salts and wait. I got it out this evening. The thorn was really deep and a lot longer than I thought it was. I soaked in a tub of epsom salts last night, the thorn came out this evening like there was no big deal. I just gave it the slightest squeeze and it popped out. Prior to this nothing worked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If it isn't bothering you forget it. It will soon dissolve and disappear by itself. But if you insist you can get a needle or hat pin or straight pin and remove enough skin to be able to get it with tweezers.
That's what I did...let it dissolve.

Not too long ago I had some type of splinter stuck in my finger and it was very annoying because it was on the finger tip and I was always feeling it when I picked up stuff, but I couldn't get it out. It eventually dissolved.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For anyone else needing a solution - soak it in epsom salts and wait. I got it out this evening. The thorn was really deep and a lot longer than I thought it was. I soaked in a tub of epsom salts last night, the thorn came out this evening like there was no big deal. I just gave it the slightest squeeze and it popped out. Prior to this nothing worked.
This has nothing to do with splinters but with more serious things like poisonous spider bites. Years ago my wife was bitten on the back of her neck by some kind of spider, probably a Brown Recluse. At first we didn't think it was any big deal. We were always getting bit or cut or stabbed by something, but after a couple of days it began swell and turn necrotic. And I was able to see the actual bite marks. We went to the ER and they had no idea what it was but said surgery was needed and that it would leave a large depression and scar on her neck. She declined their help. I knew an old timer who had lived in rural Texas all of his life and AFAIK had never been to a doctor in his life. I asked him what to do and here is what he said. He said to make a poultice of hot water and keep it on the wound until it softened somewhat and then to make a slurry out of Garrett Snuff. For those of you who don't know what this is, it is a strong type of tobacco that one either snorts up is nose or dips it. It is a fine powder. He said to put this over the wound and to keep a hot compress over it. He said to keep up the snuff and hot compress until it drained the wound. And drain the wound it did. It took about 12 hours but it removed what I call a core of tissue about the size of a walnut. He then said to wash out the opening with hydrogen peroxide and cover it up. To make this story short it worked, the hole in her neck closed up and she now has only a tiny scar you can barely see.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's what I did...let it dissolve.

Not too long ago I had some type of splinter stuck in my finger and it was very annoying because it was on the finger tip and I was always feeling it when I picked up stuff, but I couldn't get it out. It eventually dissolved.

Mine was starting to show signs of going towards infection. It wasn't there yet, but it was close. I actually read on another forum about using epsom salts, lady's doctor suggested it to avoid having to cut it out.

Ask a Question