Removing blue spruce... will old root system cause problems?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
Hey folks,

I am planning to remove two sickly looking blue spruce from my sunny front yard. They were planted about 10 or 12 feet apart. In their place I want to plant a red oak arranged in an island bed with some small shrubs and perennials. My question is, should I remove the root system and/or ground down the stump or can I get away with cutting both down to the ground? This will be a DIY project with a couple of friends. They are not very large trees (20 feet?) and I'd like to save the money and cut them myself.

Will the red oak grow in roughly the same location as the 2 source trees without issue or will the old roots cause a problem?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
I have cut a lot of trees down in my yard over the years
I just dig around the trunk and cut it just below the ground and let the rest rot

Good to hear! That's what I figured... ever cut a spruce in the 20'+ range? I think we'll cut off the branches to the the top then work on the trunk. Any particular method best suited for spruce?

thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i don't know how much room you got
if you can just drop the tree and cut it on the ground it makes it a easy job

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did this very thing with a blue spruce and never had any problem. The rot system will not interfere with the red oak. The oak's roots will just find a way around the old roots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
I did this very thing with a blue spruce and never had any problem. The rot system will not interfere with the red oak. The oak's roots will just find a way around the old roots

thank you... i thought so. Both spruce trees are in really rough shape.. funny trees they are. I think if it's too damp, they are not happy. Also decided that i'll be cutting down another blue in the backyard that was planted in a really bad spot, IMO. It's right next to our pool just a few feet away and it's leaning toward the pool now.. Needles everywhere. In my opinion, spruce trees should be planted as far away (perimeter?) from the foundation as possible.

Ask a Question