Reel mower, electric mower, or trimmer for my lawn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

First post here. I have a brand new backyard with a new lawn. As far as I know it's a 90/10 tall fescue. Link here
Right after it was installed, we went on a 2 weeks trip so its pretty tall right now. I am trying to figure out the best way to this first cut, and also how to maintain. Not sure if a traditional reel mower, and electric mower, or a string trimmer is the best option. I did find this online and people seem to have good experience with it, it's a string trimmer that sits on a base and can be used as a mower. Link.

It's a pretty small area, about 12x20ft. I wasn't planning on cutting it very often, maybe every 2 weeks, is ok?

Please let me know your thoughts. Much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_9371.jpg
    IMG_9371.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_9758 copy.jpg
    IMG_9758 copy.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 332
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to say welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi!

That actually looks like the perfect mowing tool for your small area. It's something I would have seriously considered for my last house, which had a very tiny lawn.

My neighbor does my yard now, on average every 10 or so days. More like a week when we've had a good bit of rain, less often when we have dry weather.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome! I'd go with a reel mower. They are quiet, don't use gasoline (darn! I was going to mow but I'm out of gas!), and can be sharpened with a simple sharpening tool.
We cut our grass to 3" height. That way the grass can feed, set deeper roots, and not looked "scalped." We mow when necessary, which with the unusual rains we've had here lately, is WAY too often! You can't set a schedule for mowing--grass grows and you mow on the grass' schedule, not yours!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!

That actually looks like the perfect mowing tool for your small area. It's something I would have seriously considered for my last house, which had a very tiny lawn.

My neighbor does my yard now, on average every 10 or so days. More like a week when we've had a good bit of rain, less often when we have dry weather.

Might be. My only concern is that it's a string trimmer on a rolling base, and that string trimmer don't make make the grass as healthy as a reel mower.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! I'd go with a reel mower. They are quiet, don't use gasoline (darn! I was going to mow but I'm out of gas!), and can be sharpened with a simple sharpening tool.
We cut our grass to 3" height. That way the grass can feed, set deeper roots, and not looked "scalped." We mow when necessary, which with the unusual rains we've had here lately, is WAY too often! You can't set a schedule for mowing--grass grows and you mow on the grass' schedule, not yours!

But wouldn't I still need a trimmer for the edges with the brick?

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have a gas walk-behind mower (very large yard!) and I just put one wheel on the edging and mow. I think that with a reel mower you could do basically the same thing, just make sure the wheels are on the bricks and the blades aren't.
If you don't feel comfortable with trimming with a reel mower, there are inexpensive electric trimmers, or manually operated trimmers (think of a pair of scissors with very long handles). Here is a link that shows what I'm trying to describe:
http://www.gardenersedge.com/fiskar...mt=&plc=&kc=&gclid=CLXY3_ud8c4CFQuTaQodvc0NCA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm going to defer to those who understand the nuances of lawn mowing! It is the one yard-related task I truly loathe, so I almost always have hired it out every place I've lived.

I do agree that you mow the grass depending on it and your weather though! If you have healthy grass (and it looks like you do), healthy soil and a regular amount of rain, two weeks may be a pretty long interval between mowings.

My neighbor has had Stuff Happening lately and didn't get to our lawns until today...a little over two weeks since the last mowing. It was 6-8 inches tall and I have three dogs and it was a challenge finding their daily poops. :p We've had rain this last few weeks (finally) and the grass just bolted.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would go with a push mower for a lawn that size. A string trimmer doesn't cut the grass it snaps it off and this is not healthy. As far as a battery mower a new battery will set you back about $40 dollars and they do need replacing. Also when the battery is dead then you have to wait for it to recharge. If you are concerned about trimming then you could get a cheap electric trimmer to use.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would go for a real mower, I think it's better than string trimmer. It's easier to use and mows faster. I use it once in two weeks and it takes about 30 minutes. I think my yard is a bit bigger than yours.

Ask a Question