Red Ti plant turning yellow on the bottom

Reaction score
Country
United States
We live in Fort Myers FL and just recently built a pool with a cage enclosure. The pool faces southeast. Around the perimeter of the enclosure our landscaping (3 weeks ago now) included Red Ti plants on the NE and SW sides and Bougainvilleas on the SE side. The Bougainvilleas seem to be doing OK but I am concerned about the Red Ti plants.

The ones on the NE side seem alright but the SE side ones seem in trouble. I have attached 2 photos and I am sure you can tell which side is which. I have checked with a moisture meter and it always registers either moist or wet. Never dry. The bad part is we have NO control over the sprinkler system as it is centrally controlled by the HOA.

Any and all thoughts are welcome since I am from Minnesota and no nothing of the care of Red Ti plants.

Attachments

• IMG_2427.JPG
    IMG_2427.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2426.JPG
    IMG_2426.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 223
Reaction score
Country
United States
Overwatering can cause the leaves to turn brown on bottom. If you cut off the amount of oxygen in the root zone with too much water the plant will shead the oldest leaves first. In the Summer it may show less damage as in the Winter. Moisture meters are not accurate and can give miss information about moisture in the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
After doing a little research on Ti plants the older bottom leaves could be a symptom of under watering too. Be sure to dig down about 8 or 10 inches with your hand and feel the soil to learn which it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The answer is like real estate--Location, Location, Location. The plants on the north side are in the shade and the plants on the south side are in the sun. There will always be a difference between the two locations. The best thing to do is trim off the worst looking leaves and accept that you will be trimming those plants more than the others.

Ask a Question