Red Mulch

Reaction score
I have been battling a weed problem in my veggie garden so after pulling weeds for 3 hours I decided I needed mulch. A friend recently told me how much better red mulch (wood chips) performed in their flower garden over the other types of mulch so I went out and bought 8 bags and put it out. Only after installing the mulch did I read somewhere that red mulch was not good for vegetables but it was the only online source that said this. Does anyone know if this is true ? I know one thing - I'm not removing it !!!! It took too long to install it under all the nearly mature plants and to think I have to remove it, well I think I would rather let the strong plants produce and not worry about the others. Advice ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been battling a weed problem in my veggie garden so after pulling weeds for 3 hours I decided I needed mulch. A friend recently told me how much better red mulch (wood chips) performed in their flower garden over the other types of mulch so I went out and bought 8 bags and put it out. Only after installing the mulch did I read somewhere that red mulch was not good for vegetables but it was the only online source that said this. Does anyone know if this is true ? I know one thing - I'm not removing it !!!! It took too long to install it under all the nearly mature plants and to think I have to remove it, well I think I would rather let the strong plants produce and not worry about the others. Advice ?
These colored mulchs are dyed and the dyes are harmless and just for cosmetics. Having said that, there are different types of wood used in mulchs. There are hardwood and softwood. There are bark and shredded wood mulchs. There are pecan shell and peanut shell mulchs. There is nothing wrong with any of them but some work better than others depending what your objective is. Some decompose faster than others and some will float away in heavy rains and others won't. But a good rule of thumb is to use a mulch that is native to your area

Reaction score
These colored mulchs are dyed and the dyes are harmless and just for cosmetics. Having said that, there are different types of wood used in mulchs. There are hardwood and softwood. There are bark and shredded wood mulchs. There are pecan shell and peanut shell mulchs. There is nothing wrong with any of them but some work better than others depending what your objective is. Some decompose faster than others and some will float away in heavy rains and others won't. But a good rule of thumb is to use a mulch that is native to your area

Thanks for the reply. I feel better now.

Reaction score
Mulching is a good idea for a number of reasons besides weed control. It helps hold moisture in and regulates the soil temp around the plant down when it gets really hot. Most people do not mulch or don't put enough of it down. I usually lay down at least two inches around the plants.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't put enough down when I put the mulch down to keep the weeds under control. It always seems like to much but the weeds win out so it is clear that I am not putting enough down, this time I will pour out more in this one spot that I just have not been able to keep the weeds under control.

Reaction score
I've had good success with Texas cedar wood mulch. Of course this is Texas, so it's easy to get. I love cedar wood as it has been less insect resistant for me with the exception of bill bugs.

I originally started using it because I had heard it helped repel snakes, and at least rodents. Well yes, huge success with that using chips in the house to repel rodents, but as for snakes, outside in the garden, I just can't really tell yet.

But I say success simply in that as a mulch, it works great. Plus I love the smell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cedar mulch is also good and it makes your garden smell amazing. I am not sure how well it does at killing off weeds, but it sure will make your yard look pretty.

Ask a Question