Red maple is not Red

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Planter it in the spring and it was Red but now it is green. It is a Split leaf red maple .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just planted one of these a few weeks ago, so I've looked into this.
It may depend on the cultivar (or individual genetics, if you will) of your tree. Some stay red all season, but others will turn green in the hot part of the summer, then go red again in the fall. Sun exposure may also play a part - what growing zone are you in and how much sun does your maple get? I researched and found that red maples do not like full sun and won't keep their colour if they get too much. Where I live, morning sun/afternoon shade is recommended.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I just planted one of these a few weeks ago, so I've looked into this.
It may depend on the cultivar (or individual genetics, if you will) of your tree. Some stay red all season, but others will turn green in the hot part of the summer, then go red again in the fall. Sun exposure may also play a part - what growing zone are you in and how much sun does your maple get? I researched and found that red maples do not like full sun and won't keep their colour if they get too much. Where I live, morning sun/afternoon shade is recommended.
It is on the East side of my house. I am in Zone 7b.

Reaction score
I had a Japanese maple that was red in the spring and in the Fall, but it turned green during the summer. Since your red maple started out red and is now green, I bet it is following the same pattern.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I just thought it was a blood good. But I will learn to live with it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My sister has a Japanese maple by her front entrance, and the red leaves are showing from Spring to Fall. In the winter, the leaves are not quite as red though. So I think it has to do with season changes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is funny because coincidentally we recently had a man come in looking for two red maple trees his wife had paid for and I couldn't find them. Two other people walked around with me and when we finally located two red maples, they weren't red. I had been expecting the leaves to be more like the Japanese tree.

Reaction score
Some climates may affect the leaves differently: instead of having red leaves in the winter like IcyBC's sister does our Japanese tree had NO leaves in the winter! And it was only red in the Spring and Fall.

Ask a Question