Red Flowering Currant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have moved to a house with a large garden and know very little about gardening so you may receive a lot of questions from me and i would like to thank you in anticipation.
I have a large red flowering currant , a large forsythia and 2 x large camellia bush that is about to finish flowering that i need to trim right back, can someone please tell me when to do this without harming the plant?
Many thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @Henders, it`s good to have you on board :) The currant (Ribes, probably pullborough scarlet) and Forsythia should be pruned straight after flowering. I`m not sure about the Camellia though :unsure:
Don`t forget that the birds will be nesting at this time - keep an eye open and make sure you don`t disturb them. They need all the help they can get.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the Camellia advice I found from the RHS ......

Camellias do not need to be pruned regularly but, if they outgrow the allotted space, you can trim them into shape after flowering. Hard pruning is best carried out in March, but it will be a couple of years or more before they flower well again.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the Camellia advice I found from the RHS ......

Camellias do not need to be pruned regularly but, if they outgrow the allotted space, you can trim them into shape after flowering. Hard pruning is best carried out in March, but it will be a couple of years or more before they flower well again.
Thank you so much for your reply and yes we have very high respect for the birds and the bees. In fact we have a large bee hotel (not quite finished) bat boxes and a insect hotel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could you tell us whereabouts in the country you are? It`s not mentioned in your profile - as you can see we`re in Kent :)
We also look after the wildlife as much as we can, although we do hunt moles - one of those jobs worth nipping in the bud so to speak...... If you can catch the first one of those it saves having to deal with their little families.
This place is alive with rabbits, pheasants and partridges which cause damage, so it`s a constant battle to try and protect crops.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in South Cheshire in a 500 year old house. We have a duck in our front garden sitting on 10 eggs , she is beautiful. She will take her little ducklings down to the village pond so we keep checking on her as we may have to stop or slow down the cars.

Attachments

• 1DE09020-D17D-4B43-9585-C4895723E53D.jpeg
    1DE09020-D17D-4B43-9585-C4895723E53D.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 45

Ask a Question