Recycled dresser drawer as planter box?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Has anyone used an old dresser drawer as a planter box for growing any plants before? Is there any kind of negative ecological impact from doing so? Would you put sealant on the wood if you were to use the drawer or leave it as is?

I've seen a lot of different images of wood box planters in different sizes and shapes. A lot appear to be natural wood without any paint or stain. I know if I leave wood natural it won't last forever, but I don't really need it to.

What do you all think?

Reaction score
I haven't done this 'yet', but I've thought about it more than once, especially when it's junk trash day and I see lots of things like that could be used as planters. :) I think it would be best to leave it unstained, at least on the outside, depending on if it's real wood or that pressboard stuff that would warp and break apart after a few waterings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If I did it, I would only use real wood. I've been looking at some different storage solutions for reusing dressers and chests by removing the drawers and replacing them with shelves. The only thing is that if I do this and turn the drawers into planters I can't undo it if I want to use the furniture for its original purpose again.

But, if I just pick up drawers that have been set out on the street...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
If you are using real wood, everything should be okay:)

The only thing is that if I do this and turn the drawers into planters I can't undo it if I want to use the furniture for its original purpose again.

It's definitely worth the risk. It looks so beautiful:

2nd-sprd_dresser.jpg

img_6217.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, that second one makes me wish I had tools and a workshop! I love the handles also; would make it so much easier to move around. I'm going to start paying attention to stuff on the side of the road more. (Now I'm really going to need a truck, lol!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love that the second one looks so natural, almost like these plants were growing on a fallen tree. It has a lovely vintage touch. But I also love the first picture, it's so romantic. It looks like you could sit there in front of the mirror and read a book:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think that's what I like as well, it's rustic.It looks like it belongs there as part of the natural landscape even though it obviously isn't a container you would find that way "in nature."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here are other pretty examples of drawers used as planter boxes, I'm not sure which one of them I like the most, they're all very unique:

may_23rd_2010_051a_lg.jpg

desk_garden-using-drawers-as-planter-boxes.png

62346776061716062_Ypc3XiyJ_c.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think I like the second one best as far as ideas go; the third photo is the prettiest. Looking at the second image has me wondering if anyone has ever thought to turn one on it's back to use it as an additional container. You don't get the full use of the drawer space if you insert it back in the chest, then it just becomes an interesting planter up against the back or side of the house.

Reaction score
Hmmm. I'm wondering if you took a wooden bookcase and laid it on it's back you could make it like that drawer one without needing any tools at all? It looks like a wonderful idea and when I move I'm going to haunt freecycle to find bookcases, file cabinets or desks that people are trying to get rid of. lol! My husband is going to wish I never found this forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My husband is going to wish I never found this forum.

ROFLOL!

I need bookcases for books and other storage too desperately to fill them with dirt, lol! Hadn't thought about freecycle, though. I got a free 2 door cabinet/shelf combo when my neighbors sold their house and were getting rid of stuff.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That blue dresser is absolutely spectacular! That would be the best conversation piece on my back patio. I can not believe I have never seen anything like this here in Indiana! I have seen people using old toilets before in their front yard as planters, and it just looked so silly! But this dresser drawer idea is great!. My hubby and I had discussed doing something with pallets that were similar, but I think I am now leaning a different way. Thanks for the post. Looks like I may be scoping out some garage sales for an old dresser!

Ask a Question