Received Roses

Reaction score
Country
United States
and it's still cold here in Illinois. I called and asked why they shipped so early and was told could be planted between 30 and 60 degrees. I'm doubtful and so afraid of losing them. I took them from boxes to put in water though read something saying can't leave in water for more than 48 hrs. They each had new growth on them. On one the growth was quite large. Is this unusual or does it mean anything negative? You can tell I'm total newbie at this. Planting many many things as we prepare the farm for a September wedding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
and it's still cold here in Illinois. I called and asked why they shipped so early and was told could be planted between 30 and 60 degrees.

--By whom? The seller?

I'm doubtful and so afraid of losing them.

--Which roses are they?

I took them from boxes to put in water though read something saying can't leave in water for more than 48 hrs.

--Many land plants and animals could not survive 48 hours under water.

They each had new growth on them. On one the growth was quite large. Is this unusual or does it mean anything negative?

--Growth is generally positive. Except mutant type growths of course.

Do you have pictures?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@TimesWastn Roses won't die as long as the roots are well packaged. Some of them are even sent bare root and at a much cheaper price. Some seasoned rose growers won't find it a problem. But some companies do send nasty or even wrong stuff. You could google bare root roses winter care.

If you are worried, send them a worrying note and show pics to them on email which can act as a digital proof that you have raised your concern. If they don't grow or diseases can't be detected now, you will have recourse, saying that they die and you have warned them at a certain date. That's what I did with my peony. They said to me keep me for a while and see how they fare. One literally had no new shoots which should have been seen. So I sent in a sales of good act and they refunded me. I sent me pics on both occasions. One Tom Eckhart is certainly beyond hope!

Could you share with us your photos please?

Here is what I've googled for you.

Roses: planting/RHS Gardening
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=191
23 Sep 2014 - Bare-root roses: Plant in late autumn at leaf fall, and from late winter to early spring, before growth resumes. Avoid planting in the middle of winter when the ground is frozen. Containerised and container-grown roses: Plant all year round, provided the ground is neither frozen, nor very dry.

Grow them in a pot first or leave them in the pots they came with and only plant them out when the ground is not frozen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Pop those roses in pots with a good potting mix, keep them in semi-shade (do you have a spot with an east or west facing window?), water when the top 2" of soil is dry, and do not bring them into a heated house. A garage or sheltered garden shed would be ideal.
Vendors who ship at their own convenience and not when it's best for the customer, shame on them! This year's weather has been odd, and vendors should take that into consideration.

Ask a Question