Raspberry infestation!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
When I moved in with my boyfriend there were raspberries on thr right side of the lawn, quite a bit. I cut abd pulled out a lot but the next few years I wasn't able to do anything so what I pulled came back and then MANY more. They pop up everywhere. And I pull them but knew that really wasn't the answer . It came across the lawn to where my day Lilies are and are among them. This year, I cut it ALL down but poped up again so bought some roundup as was told it goes into the leaves down to the roots and kills also doesn't leach out to other plants, sprayed twice as new growth came out. I hired a friend that used his bucket to uproot what he saw but not all and roots are big and long. Think we started too soon but trying to eliminate the new growth. Our neighbor said the only solution she could think of is to dig it all up and haul it away but extremely costly and if just 1 inch size root is still in the ground it will all come back. I will need to to put grass seeds but it takes time for thisctovgrow in the mean time the raspberries will pop up before it takes hold. It's a very large area and I'm baffled with what to do. I am willing to help him pull the roots he digs up but know some will be left behind. So here we are looking at all the roots and new shoots coming through. Is there anything I can do. I saw that you told a lady that there is stuff you can drop on the new growth that will kill it but thus will probably take all season long and really want to get rid if them. My son passed away last year and bought a crab tree in his memory and other plants to put around a large rock along with 2 other trees and don't want to loose them if I can't put them in this year. Is there anyone that can help me. An owners nightmare and an anxious mother to get this area done, like I said in memory of my son but can't afford a fortune. Or friend doesn't mind me giving him monthly payments for his work but he wants to do it right. I can take a picture to show you what were looking at but not sure if I can share it here. The raspberries are also taking over our back yard. He's cleared a lot there but will have the same problem there. I hope there's a solution and not too costly. Desperate women needing your help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Just noticed I can show the pictures

Attachments

• 20210606_131206.jpg
    20210606_131206.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210606_131202.jpg
    20210606_131202.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210606_131123.jpg
    20210606_131123.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210606_131108.jpg
    20210606_131108.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210606_131103.jpg
    20210606_131103.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210606_131057.jpg
    20210606_131057.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 66
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
The way raspberries send out runners that sprout up means that you have your work cut out for you on this task. But you know that.

Also because of the runner roots sprouting up most or all of the patch may really be one interconnected plant so something like Roundup will have limited success unless you nuke the whole area.

I had ivy growing in a thick mat - very similar to raspberries as it sends out long roots to sprout up later and will set down roots where a stem lays on the ground. Ironically in this case I ripped out the ivy to plant raspberries.

To get rid of the ivy I spent most of a saturday with a pick and shovel pulling up roots and coaxing apart the soil to pull long roots out. This got most of it but then I had sprouts up again in 3ish weeks. I then got to do it again but the task was much more limited as the ground was soft.

Before you start this water the area well a day or two ahead if the ground is dry and hard.
Wear gloves.

Look up tarpping or "solarizing" the soil - this is where you cover the ground with a tarp and leave it in the sun for several days to kill off weeds. It may work after ripping up the canes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Raspberry are a cane bush , it is their nature to deplete nutrients and move on . To help keep them in check cut out unwanted growth and their runners . Keep the area you want them firtle and moist . Raspberries and the like are also extremely fond of wood rot , keeping a low brush pile where you want them or a 4-5 inch layer of sawdust will help keep soil moist and provid nutrients they like as it breaks down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Looks like my parents yard at one point with the raspberries!!! I mowed them all down and started digging out the root balls best I can. Eventually my dad did a controlled fire and no more raspberry.

Ask a Question