Raspberries--when do you prune?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi Everyone...I have received some conflicting reports on when to prune raspberry plants. I have heard everything from Spring to Summer to Fall/Winter.

If you have berry plants, when do you prune, and how has that gone for you?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I have a small raspberry patch. My method of pruning now is to cut all the material to ground level after the frost in late October, Zone 5. I get one good crop probably starting in early September lasting until frost.

The other method is to cut the stalks, which is tedious, that bore fruit this year. This gives two cropping situations next year. One in early July and the other starting in early September. This gives raspberries for a longer period but both crops are not abundant. I don't use this method anymore.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a ton of raspberry plants and get a load of fruit off of them every year. My method is to cut the stalks in the fall that produced fruit that summer. All that will be left is the new green shoots and they are the ones that will produce the next summer. If you don't cut the old stalks (which will not produce more fruit) eventually your patch will turn into a tangled mess! Think about a wild blackberry patch that never gets pruned! In the spring, you can tie up the new stalks and prune them to a comfortable length. This will produce a ton of BIG raspberries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a ton of raspberry plants and get a load of fruit off of them every year. My method is to cut the stalks in the fall that produced fruit that summer. All that will be left is the new green shoots and they are the ones that will produce the next summer. If you don't cut the old stalks (which will not produce more fruit) eventually your patch will turn into a tangled mess! Think about a wild blackberry patch that never gets pruned! In the spring, you can tie up the new stalks and prune them to a comfortable length. This will produce a ton of BIG raspberries.
Good idea--although I may need to use Durgan's option since it's quite wintery here now....I hope I won't damage too much to prune now-not sure I'll know the difference between old and new canes since I haven't checked them after the last freezing period.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yikes--they were a gift...how do I tell?
Primocane raspberries fruit in the first year, on new wood, whilst Floricane do not fruit in the first year, but fruit on wood produced the previous year.
It make a huge difference, obviously, to how you prune them.

Durgan has primocane raspberries, but imv, is pruning them too early.
Pruning encourages the production of new shoots in this type of raspberry, and is best left until early Feb, or, with poor light levels, the new shoots can grow lanky.
They are sometimes called "Autumn Raspberries", as they crop from August until the first frosts, although in the UK the taste drops off mid-October.

Floricane raspberries, as stated, fruit on the previous year's wood, and, because they have a head start, the fruiting period starts and finishes earlier. (June/July)
They tend to grow tall, and you have to tie them in (subject for another post).

If your raspberries are just being planted now, here's what to do, regardless of which type they are, as, it will obviously be right either way:
Plant them any time the ground isn't frozen or water-logged.
Come February, cut them right down to the ground.
When shoots come through, top-dress with a little organic fertiliser.
You won't get a crop this coming June/July either way.
The decider comes in late July, early August; if they begin to fruit, you have primocane, and should cut everything down to the ground each Feb.
If they don't fruit, you must protect the year's growth by giving it a support framework to tie it to.
It'll fruit June/July 2017, and then, after fruiting, you must cut out all the canes which have fruited, and tie in all the new growth for the following year.

It IS possible to get primocanes to fruit twice, by leaving a little wood which hasn't fruited, but in my view, the quality of the fruit is so poor, and we're at the height of the strawberry harvest, that it just isn't worthwhile.

Both types, grown to their best, are delicious and bountiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My mom's raspberry plant is so tall and bushy now! It needs to be pruned since we are going into winter months. For us, it is around the end of November to be on the safe side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Both types, grown to their best, are delicious and bountiful.
Thanks for that education! Think I will give it a try...perhaps keep a small portion supported just to see. I will make an extra special effort to journal the results (not typically my strong point!) I think we are in a similar hardiness zone also--I live in Washington state and love GB resources! Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
i have joan j and polka primocane varieties. i mow them to the ground in late dec. they come up the next year and produce berries in one season. no pruning and less pest this way. easiest raspberries to care for. they are self supporting canes also. no trellising needed.

Ask a Question