Raspberries are splitting?

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hellooo, I have a problem(?) with my raspberry bush. Raspberries are ripening on it now (still green but getting there) but when the raspberries reach a certain size they split open. Like, from berry to stem, but sometimes just on the berry. They continue to ripen past this as far as I can tell (no completely ripe ones yet), but is this supposed to happen? Or maybe I am worried over nothing? I can't find any info about it online so I was hoping you knowledgeable folks would know if it's good or bad?

Also, there's this wasp that's been visiting it. I appreciate all pollinators. Except wasps. Turned up around the time the first raspberry split. I sprayed her with water today (yeahhh I knooww...didn't attack me though, seems pretty tame for some reason) Has she been screwing with my berries or am I just being mean to her and she's helping me out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have raised lots of raspberries and never had that happen so I would say you should be concerned. Do you have a good magnifying glass to look inside the berry? This may give you a clue. From your information I would suspect the wasp.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have raised lots of raspberries and never had that happen so I would say you should be concerned. Do you have a good magnifying glass to look inside the berry? This may give you a clue. From your information I would suspect the wasp.
Thanks for your reply! I ate the first ripened (and split) berry today. It actually made a wall where it split. Plants are so weird...it tasted amazing though! And I got rid of the wasp. Lots of spraying (made sure the chemicals weren't harmful to the plant first) but I think he's gone for sure. I'm thinking it was the wasp too. Maybe a mutation? Even if they're splitting into 2, as long as they taste good and grow well I think it'll be fine. Plus, haven't seen any more splitters since I sprayed it. Guess I'll keep an eye outo_O. Thanks for the advice again lol!

Ask a Question