Rare plants

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello,

I'm fairly new to gardening but loving it.

I'm trying to put together a tropical garden and there are two plants I just can't seem to find.

Euphorbia meliffera and Tetrapanax

Could anyone advise where I could possibly buy?

I live in Adelaide, SA

Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Certainly you should investigate mail order options, both from established nurseries and smaller, independent growers who have garnered good reviews online.

I once bought a particularly large-leaved cultivar of Rice-paper Plant (Tetrapanax papyrifer ) known as 'Steroidal Giant' as a small plant via mail-order from a small independent grower. It quickly grew to a the size of a small tree in a couple years. I'm not certain if Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Steroidal Giant' is available in Australia, but I expect the typical form an other cultivars might be, any one of which would be a very beautiful and dramitic plant. This deciduous Aralioid (Araliaceae) tree species is originally native to China and Taiwan.

Euphorbia mellifera is one of a number of similar, shrubby Euphorbia native to the Canary Islands and Madeira. If you are having trouble finding plants you might be able to purchase seed form overseas seed sellers. I know it can be particularly difficult to import plants into Australia, but perhaps seed would be easier.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thank you for your advice.

The giant one is amazing, I would love to be able to source one.

I may get seeds and figure out how to be successful with them!

Ask a Question