Ran across this interesting article on cornmeal use.......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
...........http://gardenprofessors.com/cornmeal-myth-busted.....While the article does generate some confusion, it is the 116 comments at the end of the article that seems to debunk the "bust"..............Kinda like believing CNN for true facts....."science" vs. human experiences......In defense of the article, in the feedback comments, it is stated, by "the professional" (paraphrased)...."what a gardener experiences is not valid unless the gardener can scientifically prove the results were caused by using cornmeal"...."Think I'll "put my money" on Chuck......

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yep. And it is not hard to see for yourself either. I put soybean meal out as a fertilizer after the grass greens up. Trichoderma grows on it as well, the subtlety of chucks suggestion goes as far as soybean being inhibitive of seedling growth to some degree where cornmeal does not have the same issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I liked the article and it's just another example of all the myths in gardening. I absolutely agree with the author on this point: "Just nurture your soil with (repeat after me) a thick layer of coarse organic mulch. "

That's all I do and I can grow anything in my previously bland, sandy soil. Every year I have at least one bunch of bananas growing from my small patch of heavy-feeding banana plants. Many more success stories and I never amend my soil with store-bought amendments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, if it's good for worms, regardless as to whether or not it has anti-fungal properties..........it's good for the garden.....

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Someone helps me! What is the British name for cornmeal please? Cornflour?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, polenta - it's so confusing. Is that your beloved in the avatar. You lucky devil!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
According to Google......."You can't get it in the UK and cornflour is not the same.
What you can use though is polenta and that is cornmeal."
Happy Valentine's Day! :love:

@alp the corn flour is finely ground where the corn meal and polenta is a larger or more coarse grind. You asked about this once last year, and it made me curious. You must be on about another recipe!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Happy Valentine's Day! :love:

@alp the corn flour is finely ground where the corn meal and polenta is a larger or more coarse grind. You asked about this once last year, and it made me curious. You must be on about another recipe!

Haha! You know, DM, I am 62! So please forgive me. Geee! You're so sharp. You must be my other son. He barks at me when I mention thing twice.

I have polenta, bought it for making bread. In the end, might have chucked it. Not too sure! Oh, dear! What a fool! Could have fed it to the worms...

When are you going to load an avatar with your beloved Becky? Looking forward to it.

Ask a Question