Raised vegie patch within pool area?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I need to relocate my vegie patch (raised bed) elsewhere in my yard (as a direct result of our 12 month old puppy who completely destroyed my existing patch and fencing around it). I am thinking of relocating it within our fenced pool area as (a) it has a very strong existing fence which the dog can't get through, and (b) there is a reasonable sized spot within this space which is just a dirt patch at the moment, but has full sun. My only hesitation is whether the chlorine and salt from the pool would destroy the vegies / make them inedible. It would be a raised garden bed, and at its closest point would be about 1.2 metres from the waters edge, and would be within the 'splash zone'. Is it a stupied idea to move the patch to this location? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think I would make a better fence for the original spot. A twelve month old pup is at the age of getting into the most mischief he possibly can but is also approaching trainable age. He will grow out of it with a little help.

I don't think moving your patch next to a pool is a good idea. A little salt today, a little salt tomorrow and pretty soon you have what the Romans called " pacified soil", meaning nothing would grow.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I wouldn't hesitate to move it...but I would put up a splash guard, something small like a piece of plywood or other light material, to deflect splashes from the garden soil. As long as you get plenty of sun it will be fine and love the humidity.

Ask a Question