Raised Bed from Tank: metal or plastic

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi - instead of building a raised bed (which i've done before) i've found a few for sale in the area. They are watering tanks used for cows and horses. Wondering positives/negatives of either metal or poly. Obviously with each i'd like to put drain holes in bottom. I planting on putting strawberry in there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Turning watering tanks into large planters or raised beds with the addition of drainage holes is done often and works very well. Both metal and plastic are durable and both are used. Cost and aesthetics would be the main criteria for one over the other.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know, but I am thinking that the metal ones may be preserved from rust by galvanising and putting drain holes would breach that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I don't know, but I am thinking that the metal ones may be preserved from rust by galvanising and putting drain holes would breach that.
I spray zinc and then aluminum paint over that layer and the metals will hold up pretty well. The plastics suffer uv damage so a plastic primer like plastic magic could be used and then paint them to stop the sunburn and they will go a really long time. Buried plastic lasts practically forever.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Waste is a separate issue from anything else. Remember the horseless carriage was invented not that long ago.
Ah yes, the wonderful cure for all that stinking horse excrement. I am told gas supplies will be replaced with hydrogen releasing 'harmless' water vapour, I wonder how harmless it will be in quantity? Still, as my plumber friend said "With higher pressure and much more explosive it is going to sort the sheep from the goats plumber-wise."

Ask a Question