Rainwater harvesting

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
For many of you who live in an area with more rain, this may not be of interest to you. However, for those of us who have sporadic rain, or infrequent rains, harvesting rainwater can be very beneficial.
Here is our set-up with two large 250 gal. cubes catching rainwater from the barn roof:
water containers.jpg

The cubes are fiberglass with a spigot at the bottom. We got them for free from a machine shop that has them for washing parts. The soap that the cubes contained was biodegradable, and we flushed the containers until the water ran clear. The hens also drink the rainwater. Right now collecting rainwater is not cost-effective, but when there are water usage restrictions, and we have water for our gardens,hang the cost of guttering!
We also have smaller collection containers--these are 55 gal. fiberglass barrels that we get from the local water facility. They contained chlorine, which we let "off gas" for a week, then rinsed thoroughly. This one catches rain from our roof, and we have another large 250 gal. cube that collects rain from the garage roof. There is another barrel that gets the rain from the workshop. If we get 1/2" of rain, we collect about 900 gal. of water.
The cubes need support--we used 4'x4' supported by concrete blocks. The barrels don't need support, but if you have much wind, I strongly suggest anchoring the downspout with wire. You will notice a small hole about 18" above the barrel--that is for overflow. If the barrel fills and can't overflow around the rim fast enough, the water will climb up the downspout and cause overflow all along the roof gutter. No big problem, but the water can make a trough in the soil below.
We use 1/4 of a mosquito dunk on the open barrels, and 1/2 of a dunk for the large cubes. The dunks are bacillus theringensus (please forgive the spelling) and are available at any big-box store. We don't have a mosquito problem.
These are dip and carry water collectors. Some folks have made adaptations for hoses, but I prefer to water the plants that need it while visiting with my garden greenery.
Water Collection 3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I'm impressed. A really good set-up and you explained it very well. I have 2 of those 250 gallon thingies that I'm going to use for sugaring. So now if I have a dry summer I'll have a basic idea on how to set up a rain collecting system. Muy bien :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've wanted to have a water collecting system for a long time, but we're renting so I won't.

Sure it will! I collect rainwater in storage tubs. I started with one and then added a second. In a good rain you can get several gallons that will last you a week or more, depending on how many plants you have and what their water needs are. I know someone who started just putting an ice chest under the drain spout for the rain gutter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In Washington it rains all of the time (yes the rumors are true!) at least during the fall and winter months. You really don't even need a collection system here, all you need to do is get a funnel and some buckets. In all seriousness though, the water collection systems are very popular here and it is not uncommon to see them in buildings and homes now. I would like to have one of my own when I buy a house sometime in the future.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool :)

We use the big square containers over here for weighing down scaffolding so the wind doesn't rip it off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love the idea of collecting rainwater. I live in NC, where spring is plenty wet, but summer is not always - and it gets very hot. Watering my garden isn't typically an issue, but rainwater is so obviously better than tap water - for a million reasons.

The one thing holding me back, and forgive me this isn't personal, is how UGLY it is. I mean, big blue water collectors up against my house?! They can't make them look any better? They have to bright blue and scream CHEAP... (even though, ironically, they aren't that cheap).

If I lived on a farm, or on acres of land, it would be different, I think. But I'm in a neighborhood where this would stick out and make my house look trashy. I would love to come up with a visually appealing but also useful system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Claire, the barrels also come in white, and can be painted. You could also do a screen around a barrel, leaving one side open for access. Think of a two sided trellis, one side facing out, the other covering another side that is visible to neighbors, and one side open. A vine or hanging plants on the trellis would be attractive and more esthetically pleasing.
I didn't take your assessment of the ugliness of the barrel personally, but anything that holds water in Texas is considered beautiful!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Underground holding tanks would be great, but here in Texas, or at least in our area, there are two problems with them. First, our ground shifts and they either crack or compress. Secondly, an electric or gas motor is needed to get the water up, both of which are pretty expensive. Sure wish they were practical for us!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love the idea of collecting rainwater...

The one thing holding me back, and forgive me this isn't personal, is how UGLY it is. I mean, big blue water collectors up against my house?! They can't make them look any better?

There are so many different ways to collect and store rainwater that it would make your head spin. One of the nicest barrels looks like a terra cotta urn and is also a planter so you can put a cascading plant like petunias on top.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We do get a fair amount of rain, I think something a big as 250 gal. container would be over kill for our space but I do like the idea of having a water collection system to reduce the amount of water we have to pay for to water the gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Catching rainwater is getting to be popular now. Even in the province, the government is encouraging the farmers to find a way on how to store rain water. The cistern is the best method of saving water but it entails a big expense when it is installed. There is a move to create artificial dams so rainwater can be properly stored. I don't know what will happen to that proposal because a dam is not easy to construct.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Harvesting rainwater is very simple. All you need is some storage facilities. You can start with a small tank to collect water. This will help you in case of an emergency or during dry seasons. You must have your containers properly covered to keep the water clean.

Ask a Question