Rain

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
It has ben drizzling all day. Temperature 5C and it went to 9C in the afternoon. There is about an inch in the wheelbarrow, which is used for a rain gauge a bit cold for late May. Coldest Spring in about 20 years.

Tomato seedling in the ground are doing well. Potatoes are growing slightly, carrots, beets, cucumbers, bush beans have germinated. Seedlings are fine Brussels spouts, eggplant, romaine, kale. It has been dry, no rain in May. I have been selective watering with a can.

Fruit trees are doing well, peach, Paw paw, Black currants, gooseberry, rhubarb.

Such is life.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Rain? You haven't seen rain until you've seen East Texas in May...over 30 inches here in last two weeks not counting another inch today.

Gardening is all about adapting to whatever Nature dishes out...and this spring, She has really been dishing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Send the rain this way, west Michigan is much drier than it should be. At least we've gotten about an inch of rain in the last week.

We're currently 11 C with a forecast low overnight of 4 C.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We've had the coldest April in 66 years, it was cold in Jan, Feb, Mar, May, yet NOAA tell us it's been the 6th warmest year ever, so far.
I suspect they are back to torturing the data.

fishycomics

Big Apple
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Rain again For Memorial Holidays in the U.S two days straight, drooped the pepper and tomato plant that I have to stake up now. More to Life than worry over a small garden, but it makes us all happy. The good thing about this rain is they will double the size as its natural water than tap water. The bad thing about having kept water open is Misqhuettos , started in march 2021 here

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Fishy, we have had more rain here in Texas than we can handle! Our tomatoes are trellised, and I need to tie up more stems when it's dry enough to handle the plants.
About mosquitoes--we have water harvesters (three 250 gal. cubes and two 55 gal. plastic cans) and we get Mosquito Dunks which look like doughnuts. We cut them into quarters (because that is sufficient for each container) and drop them in now, again in July, and in September. The frequency depends on how long those blood suckers hang around!
The dunks are available at hardware stores and big-box stores.
I agree that rain, natural water, is better than tap water, and we don't have to pay for it!

Ask a Question