• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 390
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
No idea... I didn't buy the barrel, it was here when I moved in; it's more or less standard 32gal though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Oh bravo! @ChrisL. Seeing rain barrels always makes me happy.:) This is on my garden list of things to do this year and i don't know why it has taken me so long. Now i think i'd better get it done before the rainy season starts in June. I am going to start with one and hope to grow to two but i have limited space. Beyond two, i would have to put them out in front of the house but things tend to disappear where people have access. Also i have hardscaped the entire front of the house and the only thing to water there is the olive tree which never seems to need much. My area is not subject to drought or water shortages (o contraire), but the planet is so it is really going to make me happy to have a barrel or two. It should be required. All new construction should include at least one rain barrel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your going to get hooked on a rain barrel.
I have 2 rain barrels and I wouldn't be with out them. one is a 75 gal and the other is 55 gal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you @Fernsdaddy! That is encouraging although we don't have a "winter" here and it is warm all year, so maybe the "pond scum" is one of those tropical "treats". Anyway, maybe i'll have some and maybe not and i guess i'll deal with it when/if i get there :) A friend in zone 10 says he stirs it until it sinks to the bottom and then lets it out via the spigot without loosing too much good water...probably lands on his foot.:barefoot:

Reaction score
Looks nice!

My father got a plastic barrel and painted it terracotta colour, it really looks nice around all the greenery and we can access rainwater easily. The only downside that it is really deep and whenever I put my hands in it to get water, I am afraid that something touches my hand :/

Kavatika

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm planning on putting one of these in our back yard!! It will be a great way to save on water, as well as solving a drainage problem that we have on that side of the house. Double duty!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks so neat and nice to have! Save money and energy using the rain water. I don't have one, but I collected rain water in whatever bucket that I have around when it rains.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think rain barrels are great, but I think they should be covered when not in use...especially with this Zika threat looming everywhere, and West Nile virus. We seem to have plenty of water here, and use a well, so I don't really consider using a rain barrel but I know where water is scarce and where people have to pay for rainwater it seems like a very good idea! It is certainly eco friendly!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Most people use a small mesh screen on their water barrels to keep out any kind of bugs, I only use the water from my barrels for watering my gardens, they are Eco friendly and helps save on my water bill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
The pic is too far away to notice, but the holes are covered with window screen from the inside of the barrel. It's kept mosquitoes away so far...

Ask a Question