Radishes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone plant radishes? How do you eat radishes besides salads? Farmers co-op has 1000 seeds for $4. Now is time to plant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yea me, at least for a time or two. I ate them raw but those jokers are hotter than jalapeno peppers. I really didn't find any other way to eat them. I grow jalapeno peppers so I don't need to do radishes. The only good thing I found about them is that they are one of the first crops you can harvest. Can't really go wrong with that price since you can't get two packs of seeds for $4. Put them in freezer to save them.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yep, September through April are prime radish months for me. I use them both for eating and as part of a cover crop,

For eating, we have a continuous supply during those months by stagger planting seeds. Give them space and water and they usually don't get too hot. Great in salads or just grab a handful with a saltshaker and have at it.

I also use them a good bit in winter cover crops especially the Daikon radish which has a deep root system which loosens soil beyond 24 inches deep. They have survived winter temps of 8 deg. F for me. I like to include them in a mix with turnips and alfalfa and crimson clover as a great soil conditioner in winter.

turnip radish cover.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
It goes from cool to hot here almost instantly.
We are in Murfreesboro TN our last frost is April 20 and our spring is very short, freezing to 90°f in 6 weeks. My, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, turn to seed. My mother use to plant, radishes, beets, carrots, turnips, chard, in the snow. What town are you in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are in Murfreesboro TN our last frost is April 20 and our spring is very short, freezing to 90°f in 6 weeks. My, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, turn to seed. My mother use to plant, radishes, beets, carrots, turnips, chard, in the snow. What town are you in?
I've planted clover in the snow. Im in Knoxville.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After seeing all the wonderful things people in other climates grow in profusion it's good to find out cool, damp England is good for something. :)

PS, having said that last summer was a scorcher and bone dry, hmm, Gardener's question time today they talked about a cactus that grows all the way up to Canada, frost hardy and loves dry and hot. Maybe that's the future.

Ask a Question