Question regarding stump removal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a 0-5 degrees Celcius.
Country
United States
Hi all brand new here,

My first question, I have removed 4 small tree stumps (by digging) but some of the roots actually go under the concrete of my walkway. Is there any chance these roots can or will grow foliage back as I don't want them too.

I intend to cover everything other than the plants I replant with landscapers fabric then mulch so I guess my question is can chopped roots without their stump buried under ground regrow at all?

Thanks

Martin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all brand new here,

My first question, I have removed 4 small tree stumps (by digging) but some of the roots actually go under the concrete of my walkway. Is there any chance these roots can or will grow foliage back as I don't want them too.

I intend to cover everything other than the plants I replant with landscapers fabric then mulch so I guess my question is can chopped roots without their stump buried under ground regrow at all?

Thanks

Martin
Some plants/trees can and some can't. Most trees roots will not survive when the tree is cut down. What kind of trees were they?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a 0-5 degrees Celcius.
Country
United States
Ok so like I said I'm a complete novice and thus have NO IDEA what species the trees were , I luckily found a picture of the house before it was flipped (and the trees were still standing) So here it is: They are the 4 trees on the right of the house towering above the big bush. Ferns I think?????

Attachments

• 44664029_10.JPG
    44664029_10.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 249
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok so like I said I'm a complete novice and thus have NO IDEA what species the trees were , I luckily found a picture of the house before it was flipped (and the trees were still standing) So here it is: They are the 4 trees on the right of the house towering above the big bush. Ferns I think?????
Those trees are either a cedar or a juniper. The roots will not grow back

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a 0-5 degrees Celcius.
Country
United States
Awesome thanks, this is one of the stumps I dug out if that helps.....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1506522001541.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506522001541.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 292
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Martin, I'm speaking from sad experience-- do not use landscapers fabric. It floats (comes to the surface even when covered with mulch), weeds poke through it, you have to cut it to plant anything (another avenue for weeds), and very few experienced gardeners recommend it. See these opinions: https://www.gardening-forums.com/search/9061850/?q=landscape+fabric&t=post&o=date
Now, about your root question. Those trees are best removed (good for you!) because they are too close to your house. Since they are evergreens, it is unlikely that the roots will sprout new trees. There are "root removal" products on the market: https://www.google.com/search?q=Root+removal++products&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8. I can't recommend any of them since I haven't used them. Perhaps another forum member can give you personal experience advice.
By the way, that is a lovely home--enjoy it, and your new garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a 0-5 degrees Celcius.
Country
United States
Interesting, I always thought fabric was the way to go, will look I to not using it when I get to planting my actual plants. Thanks for the kind words on the house it actually looks much nicer than in that picture now, that was way before the seller flipped It.

Another question I have is (and it seems like it might be an oxymoron) can anybody recommend any plants for my front garden bed that will flower with colors but that are naturally inspect and pest repellent.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Interesting, I always thought fabric was the way to go, will look I to not using it when I get to planting my actual plants. Thanks for the kind words on the house it actually looks much nicer than in that picture now, that was way before the seller flipped It.

Another question I have is (and it seems like it might be an oxymoron) can anybody recommend any plants for my front garden bed that will flower with colors but that are naturally inspect and pest repellent.

Thanks in advance.
IMO the secret to repelling insects isn't the plants species or variety. It is healthy soil. If a plants environment is providing everything that the plant needs to be healthy and non-stressed then pests and insects tend to stay away, but no matter what there isn't any such thing as a guaranteed insect and pest free plant. My wife does flowers and I do vegetables but we both have the same soil and insects/pests are just about non-existent, and the ones we do get are easy to control. The only way to have healthy soil is to be organic. Using synthetic oil based fertilizers and soil amendments doesn't lead to healthy soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Martin, you don't want to repel all insects, and some "pests" are actually helpful.
Butterflies, bees, ladybugs, some wasps (the kind that lay eggs that eat the larvae of harmful insects) and others are good for your garden. Most plants that are native to your area won't attract harmful insects.
As for pests, could you give us an idea as to what they are? We have feral cats (good for keeping the rodent population in bounds), coyotes (which help keep the feral cat population down), armadilloes that dig up and eat grubs) and other four footed critters. We haven't found any repellents so far--we just live with the critters and hope for the best!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a 0-5 degrees Celcius.
Country
United States
Mainly Stinging insects and biting insects such as ant, mosquitoes and wasps. I don't mind honey bees for obvious reasons but don't want to attract tons of the other stinging insects.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hate weed membrane with a vengeance.
It kills the soil, deprives it of air and light, prevents birds accessing it, makes moving plants very difficult and looks awful unless periodically topped up with mulch or gravel. A living mulch of compost is far better for plants
I would use a stump weedkiller on those remaining stumps....in a couple of years, maybe 4, you will find them easier to remove but they will not regrow.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The above @Verdun post reminded me of how to remove the stumps. There is a product under many brand names made with potassium nitrate. Just drill some 1/2" holes in the stump and fill them up with the product. It takes a couple of months but the stump becomes cellulose and is easily dug or burned safely. @Verdun is also correct about weed fabric and mulch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a 0-5 degrees Celcius.
Country
United States
Guys , I appreciate all the comments and advice but the STUMPS are gone, I dug them out. It was the remaining roots I was concerned about growing back, some of them I had to cut away from the stumps to get the stumps out. I also seem to have a lot of pebble like stones in my garden bed in that same location, thinking at this point that I may have to excavate the whole area and put in new soil, (the previous owners didn't care about or look after the house)!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Guys , I appreciate all the comments and advice but the STUMPS are gone, I dug them out. It was the remaining roots I was concerned about growing back, some of them I had to cut away from the stumps to get the stumps out. I also seem to have a lot of pebble like stones in my garden bed in that same location, thinking at this point that I may have to excavate the whole area and put in new soil, (the previous owners didn't care about or look after the house)!
Rocks don't hurt anything unless they are fairly large. All you have to do is incorporate a lot of organic material like leaves, grass clippings, compost, etc. Get your soil ready now, don't wait until winter or spring to start. After planting or after your seedlings are tall enough add a good layer of mulch. To learn more about this go to the Organic Gardening forum on this site. There you will find just about anything you need to know and if you don't just ask.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a 0-5 degrees Celcius.
Country
United States
Sweet thanks, yeah my wife is always banging on about organic. I have heard black Kow is great stuff is this true? Also what are you guys thoughts on the rubber mulches? I LOVE the look of them but not sure if they are good!

Ask a Question