Question about watermelon

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
IMG_2521.JPG
Do you keep watermelon off ground? I'm a first time grower and for now I use 3 chopsticks to distribute the weight on each so at least it is not touching the ground.. I remember this back in elementary during boy scout days :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 24442 Do you keep watermelon off ground? I'm a first time grower and for now I use 3 chopsticks to distribute the weight on each so at least it is not touching the ground.. I remember this back in elementary during boy scout days :)
It is best to keep the melon from touching the soil if the soil stays damp. A piece of something that doesn't absorb water like a board or a license plate or even a couple of bricks works great. In sandy soil which has fast drainage nothing is needed. The object being to keep dampness from damaging the bottom of the melon.

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck, I was afraid to use something that heats up under a full day sun and worried about heat radiating on the fruit.. I was thinking using like a wicker basket or similar DYI support.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck, I was afraid to use something that heats up under a full day sun and worried about heat radiating on the fruit.. I was thinking using like a wicker basket or similar DYI support.
Watermelons are grown commercially in very sandy really hot soil. Heat isn't the problem, moisture is.

Ask a Question