Question about ferns

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I have a question about ferns. Why is it that every time I try replanting the ferns I found around our yard, they die? They only last for a day or two. I make sure that I carefully uproot them. What could I be doing that's killing the plant? :(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure there, i've usually been successful with ferns. Are you giving them a good soak before hand?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Not sure there, i've usually been successful with ferns. Are you giving them a good soak before hand?

Hmm.. Not really. I put them straight into pots. I guess that's the problem? I'll try doing that because there is a bunch of them growing again near the faucet in our backyard. Thanks for this tip!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on what sort of fern it is too, some like a dry habitat, some like it wet. Soil type varies too, Got any pics? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Here are the ferns that I am planning to replant. I'm sorry if the pic is too dark though, it's almost 6:30 PM here.

2rq0vah.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can't see that one in my book, mind you, mine only covers Britain & Northern Europe.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does air get to the roots when you take it from the ground to the pot. Air on the roots is often a problem when transplanting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My ferns look exactly the same! I'm wondering what variety is it.
Helagumamela, it's possible that you did nothing wrong. Sometimes plants don't survive a transplant. It happened to one of my roses:(

Ask a Question