Pyrography.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I bought a pyrography kit costing £115; I've fancied one of these kits to play with for many years and have finally got round to buying one; my idea was to sign and date etc any of items I turn on my Graduate wood lathe. Bron has taken to this kit enjoying playing with it and I'm still busy setting up for woodturning.

We've been watching lots of interesting pyrography videos on YouTube and just for interest I thought I'd mention pyrography because it can be a very good hobby in its own right; Bron and I are truly amazed by what can be achieved and here is a fabulous video; hope you enjoy it as much as we do;

KInd regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How unusual to see gunpowder used for something peaceful DirtMechanic; thanks for sharing. :) I wonder if anyone searching for gunpowder on the Internet here in the UK will receive a visit from the anti-terrorist squad?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'd love to see your artwork also, Colin. Due to my quick temper and proclivity to wreaking havoc, I am banned from gunpowder, hot tools, and sharp objects. However, I do appreciate those who can put any of these to good use.:rolleyes:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp & marlingardener. (y)

It's unlikely I'll be doing any pyrography for a while because at the moment I'm involved with woodturning. Bron's taken a keen interest in the pyrography kit though and really enjoys using it; below is a picture of two small pieces of plywood she's just worked on. Bron's gaining confidence and it shows. I bought the kit initially just to sign my name on my woodturning projects. At Rufforth Auto Jumble last Saturday a stallholder was selling lots of off cuts of plywood; thinking plywood might be useful for Bron I bought two sheets 2' x 4' these being thin about 4mm.

I cut nine small pieces and sanded them for Bron to play with; these are two of the pieces. The ply sheets were marked £2.50 each but two sheets only cost me £4; next month if the stall is there I'll buy a good stock of these sheets. :)

I've also bought a surprise present for Bron and she doesn't yet know about it;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-TIPS-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This cheap kit has lots of assorted tips Bron can experiment with; Bron's not only my wife but my best friend and we often treat each other like this; best days work I ever did was to marry Bron the next best day was to fully retire and be with Bron. :):):)

I'm unable to post much about our gardens and our hobbies aren't really on topic but I like to share my stories and hopefully receive tips and suggestions from others with similar hobbies. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00477.JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It's been a terrible day again here weatherwise; this afternoon I didn't feel like doing anything at all because it was a black hole and so wet outside; however I got off my backside and wandered into the workshop for an hour and suddenly felt a great deal better with the weather forgotten.

I just tinkered around on the Graduate lathe practicing finial making; here's the finial I've just completed and the black rings are burnt on using a wire so a slightly different method of woodburning? The timber is home grown holly.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00478.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Colin, please tell Bron she doesn't need to practice--she's absolutely great at pyrography! I can just see those two pieces with a poem or photo of a dear person mounted next to those flowers. What a wonderful example of what can be done with talent and time!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've also bought a surprise present for Bron and she doesn't yet know about it;

This cheap kit has lots of assorted tips Bron can experiment with;

Colin, you are so sweet! :) (y) She's going to have fun with that!! :cool: :D

The tips in the semicircle, I assume they are for burning patterns...?
s-l1600.jpg

Somewhat like the tools for stamping leather...?

th

th

(She's going to need more wood. :ROFLMAO:.)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thank you marlingardener; (y):) yes I'll tell Bron your kind comments; I daren't show her otherwise the surprise will be lost; she'll be delighted you like the two examples; Bron has already added some butterfly peel offs and attached plain card to write messages; these two are being posted to friends. I'm not surprised Bron has taken so easily to pyrography because for years Bron has used a hot glue gun for card making.

Many thanks MaryMary; it's not difficult to be sweet when I have such a wonderful wife; I'm very fortunate indeed and will never take my Bron for granted; we love each other but even more importantly we trust each other. I'm not scared of owning up to such feelings because I see only too often how many guys think it OK to call their wife/partner derogatory names? The pyrography kit hasn't yet arrived but yes I think it will create many patterns just as you describe with the leather punches; I've never seen previously such leather punches so thanks to you MaryMary for showing me something new and interesting. :):)

Below is a picture showing the pyrography with a few embellishments added; plain card is glued to the backs for messages. Sorry about the poor pictures but we live in a black hole.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00479.JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks MaryMary; Bron's pleased you like them. :)

The surprise pyrography kit I bought as a prezzie for Bron arrived at dinnertime and Bron didn't waste any time trying it out. The pictures below show more of Bron's pyrography as she keeps gaining more experience. The top picture is for Upsy it being a daisy and Bron did this with the expensive kit £115 but the bottom picture shows what Bron's just done with this cheap kit £11.59. Bron says the expensive kit is better for the fine detail especially on harder wood like the rolling pin but the cheap kit is excellent for lots of shading.

Bron really has taken to pyrography finding it quite easy and very therapeutic. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00485.JPG
DSC00486.JPG

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
:wideyed: :woot: :wideyed: WOW!! She is progressing in leaps and bounds, Colin!! (y) :cool:

It's a good thing you have your lathe to keep you busy - :sneaky: ;) - I think you've lost your pyrography kit!! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks MaryMary. :)(y) I've just shown Bron your kind comments which she's most appreciative of and guess where Bron was; yes in the kitchen wearing the pyrography pens out. I've just returned from the usual three supermarkets and in Morrison's I bought Bron a plastic lidded container to store the pyrography kits in; we share everything but my three lathes are safe so far. :ROFLMAO:

The smell of burning wood is nice wafting through the bungalow.

I appear to have an awkward job ahead of me; our lovely next door neighbour Carole has emailed asking if I would be kind enough to pop round; Carole's bungalow has just suffered water damage; repairs have been carried out to the roof and now her front room ceiling is being repaired but she has a problem with the ceiling coving; it's polystyrene and old so unlikely the same size and profile coving will no longer be available? Quite a while ago I machined some wooden moulding this too being unavailable; two profiles were needed then I installed them; below show a bit of the work involved which is time consuming but interesting; Carole is alone and retired so we keep an eye on her helping whenever we can; it's not the materials being the problem it's the time involved but a good neighbour like Carole is well worth it and it stops me moaning about the weather which is a big bonus. :):):)

Kind regards, Colin.

Caroles two mouldings (1).JPG
Caroles two mouldings (5).JPG
Caroles two mouldings (9).JPG
Caroles two mouldings (10).JPG
Caroles two mouldings (13).JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Colin - please upload your artwork! Eagerly anticipated!

Thanks for your encouragement alp which is truly appreciated. Not my artwork but another of Bron's pyrography and this one is for our lovely neighbour Carole; Carole has a cat called Max so this is going to be well received.

For my part I've had a couple of highly frustrating days helping Carole with a problem. It started when Carole emailed asking if I would please pop round to look at her ceiling coving; the ceiling had suffered severe water ingress due to Blackie doing his thing; the roof repair had been carried out and the ceiling guys had been in to replace the large section of ceiling; like most tradespeople these days these guys did the minimum by just installing and skimming the new plasterboard but left the coving in a bad way. The original coving was still in place along the front wall but damaged although it would fill; a 6' length of coving though had to be destroyed in order to effect the repairs and it was this Carole was very concerned about.

I spent about an hour browsing the web but there are thousands of different coving profiles and I couldn't find the one needed; Carole had given me a short length of coving so I could determine profile and size etc.

To cut a long story short I thought I'd be quicker making the length of coving; I had a length of mahogany so laid the original coving on top and marked for width then ripped this on the table saw; I put it through the thicknesser and brought it to correct thickness then using the bandsaw ran a pair of 45 degree chamfers; I thought great I'm making progress until I offered up the original coving to find I had ripped the mahogany too narrow? It took quite a while to suss out what had happened but I was badly caught out; laying the original on the mahogany it looked perfect as to width but I had run the chamfers leaving a sharp point; anyway I now hadn't enough width also what I simply regarded as a pair of 45 degree chamfers this too was jumping to conclusions; the coving didn't sit neatly balanced into the ceiling/wall joint it was seated at an angle other than 45 degrees so mistake number two which really made my day; all I wanted to do was to sort out this coving because it was interrupting with my woodturning thoughts.

Just before closing time last Saturday I visited our local timber yard and bought two lengths of softwood plus an offcut of 18mm thick MDF this now giving me a good excuse to make more silly mistakes. Back in the workshop this time I placed the original coving end to end with the MDF and drawing the profile before ripping the MDF; now I knew for certain if I kept outside the line the profile would be the correct size; simple when I know how?

Now for major frustration; I have a large selection of router cutters and cutters quite near the cove and bead size so this shouldn't be a problem but it proved a major headache; the plunge depth on the router in my home made router table fell well short of what was needed; the only solution I had was to do it the hard way; I used router cutters which allowed me to remove as much waste as possible then I resorted to hand plane and coarse abrasive paper. At last I finished the coving taking at least two hours final sanding ending up with sore fingers.

Sunday afternoon Bron and I popped round; whilst Bron and Carole enjoyed a natter I set about installing this new coving; whilst inside Blackie behaved; I could see through the window if it was raining; twice I had to visit my workshop and twice Blackie ensured I got wet but each time I was indoors the rain stopped; I detest Blackie with a passion. Nothing like giving new bare MDF coving a wetting is there? I took great care checking; double checking and checking again before finally cutting the cove to length. I didn't have coving adhesive but I do have a large selection of screws; the original coving is polystyrene and this can easily follow out of true walls; MDF is much less forgiving so I attacked the wall chiseling off old adhesive and removing some plaster. I used eight 50mm long stainless steel woodscrews to secure the coving; this coving won't be falling down. This small job as normal blew up in my face turning into a much bigger job; the workshop was covered in a thick layer of dust; I had been wearing ear defenders and dust mask.

I was wide awake at 1:35 Monday morning wondering if I should do the filling around the joints and over the screws but decided against it because one job leads to another; if I had done the filling then would I remove the old ceiling paper; re-paper then paint? No I think a full two days as a favour was plenty; Carole did say she would get a decorator in and up front Carole only asked for my advice so as a volunteer I'm not complaining in any way. Both Bron and I try to help anyone if we can. Carole is delighted with the new coving. This morning I tidied the workshop and used the compressor airline to blow a huge cloud of dust and debris into the driveway; how typical because I was fighting against Gale who kept blowing the debris back into the workshop; this tidying took a lot longer than it should but then most jobs do because of our dire climate.Once the debris is in the driveway i find it a lot easier to sweep and dispose of it.

I had the workshop set up for some serious woodturning but I had to clear the lot away in order to make the coving; I've now lost the plot a bit because making the coving has scrambled my thoughts; I tried a bit of woodturning but couldn't settle so instead I've been sowing seeds. I'm a typical guy who finds it impossible to multitask; I can do one job and do it well but only one job at a time; each job gets my full concentration.

The pictures below give an idea of what was involved; It's unlikely I'll be making more MDF coving soon? So alp this has been my artwork over the weekend. (y):):D

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00492.JPG
DSC00493.JPG
DSC00498.JPG
DSC00499.JPG
DSC00500.JPG
DSC00501.JPG
DSC00502.JPG
DSC00504.JPG
DSC00503.JPG

Last edited:

Members online