Purple tomatoes

Reaction score
Does anyone here grow purple tomatoes? Are they any different from growing the normal ones? I have never tried these and would appreciate any tips for growing these. I have got a few seeds from my friend and would love to grow them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I ordered some seeds for purple tomatoes, Cherokee Purple, and Indigo Rose, and am going to grow them this year. They are an Heirloom tomato, and are supposed to be a very healthy tomato with great flavor. I would think they will grow just like the other tomatoes, and I am looking forward to eating them. Cherokee Purple is a large tomato with kind of variegated stripes, and Indigo Rose is more of a Roma type .

Reaction score
Tomato plants prefer well-drained, fertile soil, high in organic matter. Fertile clays and loams produce the highest yields, but lighter soils that drain and warm quickly can produce earlier harvests. It can tolerate slightly acidic soils, and is most productive with pH 6.0 to 6.8.

Reaction score
I ordered some seeds for purple tomatoes, Cherokee Purple, and Indigo Rose, and am going to grow them this year. They are an Heirloom tomato, and are supposed to be a very healthy tomato with great flavor. I would think they will grow just like the other tomatoes, and I am looking forward to eating them. Cherokee Purple is a large tomato with kind of variegated stripes, and Indigo Rose is more of a Roma type .
Wow, I hope your turns out well. The buyer I ordered it from did not have any names. The catalogue just said purple tomatoes. I am excited. I have always grown tomatoes but never anything purple. I just ordered it on a whim because it was not too pricey and I was ordering other stuff anyways. The picture looked like this .. I wonder what they are called.
mPE747gbXjPaRFmAkHzbEuA.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Those look more like the Indigo Rose. It looks like they came from China, did you get them o n eBay ? That is what their seed packets look like, and some of them don't have the actual names. Here is a picture I found of the Indigo Rose tomatoes they look like little plums to me, and SOO pretty !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 401
Reaction score
Yes they came from china. Only a couple of plants have germinated.. I hope they will produce those plum like tomatoes on the picture.. the picture is indeed pretty. .. which is why I feel for it.. I bought through another local channel, not EBay.

Ask a Question