Purple or Green?

Which asparagus to you prefer?

• Total voters
Reaction score
When I started my asparagus bed a few years back, I couldn't decide which to go with, purple or green asparagus. So with my normal decisive mind, I bought both.

Having them both now that they are really producing, I cooked them separately and we did a blind taste test. Since the purple turn green when you cook them, it was easy.

Purple won hands down. When we move, IF asparagus grows in Belize, I'm planting all purple asparagus. I love asparagus, and was always quite content with green, but compared to the purple the green just seems to have no flavor.

Which do you prefer?

If you chose some other color besides purple and green, I expect you to tell me about it, as I'm only aware of the 2 colors.

Reaction score
Oh that is so good to know Meowmie as although I've grown green asparagus for some time - my purple asparagus still has another year to go before I get to try it and as I decided to grow mine for the very same reasons as you - in that I much prefer the flavor of rainbow colored vegetables over the regular varieties - I hadn't until now come across anyone who has yet been able to say whether it tasted the same or better than the green variety - so many thanks :)

:oops: nearly forgot - I'm not aware that asparagus comes in any other colors than green, white or purple either :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I've never eaten purple asparagus, I have no idea what does it taste like.
My favorite is green asparagus. It's so yummy!! I could eat it every day, I'm sure I'd never get bored with it. In my opinion there is nothing more delicious than cooked green asparagus with salt and butter.
I want to eat it right now!:D
As for white asparagus, I've never been a big fan of it.

Reaction score
Oh gosh, I forgot about white asparagus. To my understanding it is even milder in flavor, so I see no reason to blanch mine to get white.

You should give purple asparagus a try, Claudine. It is asparagus, with a little more flavor. Maybe a bit on the nutty side. Once it's cooked (even a little) it turns green, just like purple green beans do.

I like my asparagus best, whatever color, when it's just boiled or steamed for a few min and is still 'el dente'.

Reaction score
The green ones..And my ultimate favorite are those thai asparagus! They're thinner and softer to chew. And no peeling of the skin either...Very easy to cook

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh gosh, I forgot about white asparagus. To my understanding it is even milder in flavor, so I see no reason to blanch mine to get white.

You should give purple asparagus a try, Claudine. It is asparagus, with a little more flavor. Maybe a bit on the nutty side. Once it's cooked (even a little) it turns green, just like purple green beans do.

I like my asparagus best, whatever color, when it's just boiled or steamed for a few min and is still 'el dente'.
I'd love to give it a try, but I'm not sure if purple asparagus is available at farmer's market in my area. I don't recall seeing it there.
I like my asparagus best when it's a little overcooked and very soft:D I'm no sure why, but I really like overcooked foods:cool:

Ask a Question