Pumpkin growing up a pole?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have a long pole. Can I stick the pole in the ground, and train my pumpkin to climb it? Would it work? I want to put some copper tape around the stem of the pumpkin so snails won't eat the plant, but it would be completely pointless if the plant was on the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a long pole. Can I stick the pole in the ground, and train my pumpkin to climb it? Would it work? I want to put some copper tape around the stem of the pumpkin so snails won't eat the plant, but it would be completely pointless if the plant was on the ground.
Most pumpkins like a cooler climate than you have. I would hate to see you waste the time and effort by growing the wrong variety. I have grown these here in Texas.
http://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/plants/edibles/vegetables/seminole-pumpkin.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Oh ok. Thank you for letting me know. I won't put my hopes up for the pumpkins. I can use a pole for staking watermelons, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh ok. Thank you for letting me know. I won't put my hopes up for the pumpkins. I can use a pole for staking watermelons, right?
A small variety watermelon is going to weigh 7-10 lbs. How will you keep a 10 lb melon supported or for that matter the pole itself with 2 or 3 melons hanging from it? A tripod arrangement might work but you still have to keep the melon from falling off of the vine. A lot of folks use netting of some sort to hold the melon. A watermelon sends out a lot of shoots.and becomes a pretty big, widespread plant. I just don't see how you could use a single pole effectively.

Ask a Question