Pumpkin flowering too early

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Hi guys. This is the first time that I’m growing pumpkins. I know that pumpkins are mostly sown directly in the ground, however since I wanted to give the seeds a head start, I planted them indoors in early spring. Unfortunately, the pot of this particular pumpkin was too small for it and since the temperature was moderately low I waited too long to transplant it outside so it became rootbound and now after being just two weeks in the ground it has started to flower (apart from this male blossom in the picture there are five more buds on the plant while it only has six true leaves). Now should I pinch all of these flowers? I’m concerned if I nip off the buds, the plant will be shocked and it will never come back to the flowering stage. Am I right? What is your suggestion? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4612.JPG
    IMG_4612.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_4614.JPG
    IMG_4614.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 1,351
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Leave the flowers/take the flowers; cucurbits produce a flush of male flowers first, as they are promiscuous and want to pollinate other plants whilst there is no chance of self-pollination.
After this first flush, they produce male and female flowers.
It may be the case that the stress of being rootbound has caused it to flower prematurely, but your plant looks healthy, & hopefully has recovered.
You CAN remove the flowers if you wish, but I don't see it making material difference, and, since I'm a bit clumsy, I tend to handle my plants as little as possible.
If you decide that you do wish to remove the flowers, remember that all parts of the pumpkin are edible & that the flowers are a delicacy, either battered and deep fried or, as they do in Crete, stuffed with rice.
So you have a harvest!

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Leave the flowers/take the flowers; cucurbits produce a flush of male flowers first, as they are promiscuous and want to pollinate other plants whilst there is no chance of self-pollination.
After this first flush, they produce male and female flowers.
It may be the case that the stress of being rootbound has caused it to flower prematurely, but your plant looks healthy, & hopefully has recovered.
You CAN remove the flowers if you wish, but I don't see it making material difference, and, since I'm a bit clumsy, I tend to handle my plants as little as possible.
If you decide that you do wish to remove the flowers, remember that all parts of the pumpkin are edible & that the flowers are a delicacy, either battered and deep fried or, as they do in Crete, stuffed with rice.
So you have a harvest!
Wow. I didn’t know that these flowers are edible. I will try them somewhere down the line but for the time being since I’ve got butterfingers too and my intervention might do harm more than good I won’t touch them and will let nature take its course.

Ask a Question