Prunus Kursar

Reaction score
I planted a Kursar in my small garden three months ago and noticed the leaves are a bit nibbled so looked online for advice. I found the answer (aphids or caterpillars) but while looking found that ornamental cherry roots can cause problems. My husband is now all set to dig it up ASAP , but will this variety do much damage? It is about nine yards from the house but only three from the end of the garage.

Thanks in anticipation,
Barbara

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Barbara! :)

Just so I understand fully, are you concerned about the effect the roots could have on the brickwork? I've just had a quick read of the RHS website, there is some guidance there:

‘Ornamental cherries budded on to wild cherry rootstocks have large root systems. Trees on their own roots have much smaller root systems that are better for smaller gardens.’
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/RHS-Pu.../2011-issues/April/Cherries-for-small-gardens

They also have a little more about the Prunus Kursar: http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardens/Rosemoor/About-Rosemoor/Plant-of-the-month/February/Prunus--Kursar-

I hope you don't have to get rid of it, it looks beautiful!

Reaction score
Hi Becky, and yes, it does seem that some cherries can affect walls and foundations. This tree seems to have been bred for a smaller garden though, but maybe I should attempt to find out the rootstock. No idea if they are always the same for a variety though - I know little about this. If we dig it out though I have a bamboo in a pot far too large so we could use that.
Thanks for your input!
Barbara

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Where did you get it from? Would they be able to advise you about it's potential size do you think?

Reaction score
Well I could try! It is a good nursery, but when I was quizzing the very down to earth (farmer type) about the tree in general I asked him about the foliage in autumn, meaning has it got good colour and the reply was "well, it will chuck". It took me a while to work out what he meant. So you can see my reluctance. :) I'm off to Tatton at the end of the week so will see if there are any experts around who could advise.
The tree is still in place - I think the husband has forgotten the imminent threat to the garage.
Thanks again,
Barbara

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah I see! Hope you have a great time at Tatton and find someone who can help solve the question! It's not far from where we live, beautiful place :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
The tree is still in place - I think the husband has forgotten the imminent threat to the garage.

I don't imagine it will do any harm in the short term. But putting it into a pot is a good idea. If the trunk isn't too thick, you might also consider turning it into a bonsai tree if that's something that interests you.

Here's an article about the development of a tiny cherry bonsai.

I've got a cherry tree grown from seed that has spent its whole life in a pot and I hope to develop something like this one day.

Ask a Question